Support

Account

Home Forums ACF PRO ACF Pro Cannot Connect to Update Server

Solved

ACF Pro Cannot Connect to Update Server

• You should make your demo on localhost, for the moment, no solution was found.

• Hey Loïc,

Any news on this matter? If I can’t insert the license code will that prevent me from using the pro features?

P.

• @universys, as I can see, yes.
    I’m about to downgrade to ACF 4 if no quick solution is found…

• no improvement with 5.1.4 version

• Loïc what pro features are you unable to use without being unable to insert the license code, other than the ability update remotely? I do not have this issue.

• As far as I know, the only thing that the license key does it allow you to update. Everything else is supposed to work. It’s not something I’d downgrade over. When Pro was first announced I thought I was going to need to manually update every site all the time, being able to update is like a bonus feature I was not planning to have.

• Hello @Hube2, and thank you for your response.

I have to admit that I did not check if any functionality was missing (despite the automatic update). As everything was working well on localhost and I have this red error online, I thought that something was missing…

I just checked wis a template using ACF data in JSON, with tab, repeater, map, and it seems to work well… I feel a bit silly :-/

So everything seems functional except the auto-update. This is far less urgent (but remains a bug anyway).

Thank you again.

• Yea, it’s quite a big bug that I believe could be fixed maybe by having a secondary download site or investigating the issues with the current host environment.

If you have only 1 site to worry about it isn’t that big of a deal, as you only have to go into your FTP, delete the old files, and then upload the new ones about once every two weeks. That’s maybe 10 minutes a month.

But if you have 100+ sites, that’s at least 15 hours a month, just for updating one plugin on every website manually, twice a month.

And the problem grows with every new site you create.

Has anyone tried emailing support?

• I’m not convinced this is a bug in ACF. I’ve installed Pro on a lot of sites without seeing this problem. It seems to only be a problem with certain hosting providers. If some people have a problem and others don’t then you have to look at the thing that is different between them. In this case the only difference is where the sites are hosted.

If this was me I’d be on my hosting provider and I’d be on them until they figured out why their servers can’t seem to connect to the update server.

Eliot could provide a secondary server for the update process, maybe. But would this solve your problem? Without knowing why your host cannot connect to the update server chances are you’d still have the same problem.

I personally think that asking E to setup a secondary update server is a bit much. Like I said in a previous comment, when the Pro version idea was first announced I expected that I’d be updating manually. There are a lot of premium plugins out there that do not have automated updating.

As far as the time involved. Well, when you build a site for a client do you tell them that you’ll keep everything up to day, and do that work for free? forever? Once the site in launched updating is either the client’s responsibility or should be something that they need to pay extra for.

• Yea it’s definitely not a bug with the plugin’s code. It’s been apparent the problem is an incompatibility between many different hosts and the current ACF host. I’ll talk to my host and see if they have any ideas.

The issue is how inefficient it is to manually update the plugin that is in fairly continuous development, and that many people seem to have this problem. I appreciate that you have stuck with it Hube2. Thank you.

I’ll report back if I learn of/hear about/come up with any solutions.

• This issue is not solved. With my hosting environment, I have no problem updating dozens of other plugins, several of which are NOT hosted with WordPress, such as Gravity Forms, and have never had issues auto-updating plugins.

We can gladly set up a hosting environment here and give ACF’s devs access so they can take a look and attempt to troubleshoot this issue. I know I’m not the first to offer this, has a dev at ACF taken anyone up on the offer yet, in order to look into this further?

• Just out of curiosity, does this have something to do with the grandfathered ACF licenses? We had purchased ACF4.# and when 5 came out, we were given an unlimited license for free. It doesn’t have anything to do with those keys, does it?

• Oh wow, I had no idea this had been marked solved, as it really isn’t.

@Quantum, no, my key was purchased post 4->5, and the issue is a connection between 2 servers.

I talked to my provider, they said they’re not sure what the issue is but they were seeing 403 Forbidden when trying to cURL to the addresses mentioned earlier in this thread. (ie http://connect.advancedcustomfields.com/index.php?a=get-info&p=pro)

They originally thought that maybe the servers were blocking some IPs. Potential IPs that the ACF Host may be blocking/denying:

Primary: 184.106.10.128
    Secondary: 184.106.10.129 – 184.106.10.135 | 184.106.55.253

Or it could be that there needs to be some sort of verification/authentication that is not getting through on the POST.

• @wilirius I did some test on the url that was provided width this script :

<?php

$json = file_get_contents("http://connect.advancedcustomfields.com/index.php?a=get-info&p=pro");

$json = json_decode($json);

var_dump($json);

On localhost that works perfectly, I get a NULL with my host (OVH). I just wrote them and wait for their response.

• I did the same thing Loïc.

I’m not sure if something has changed on Rackspace’s end or ACF’s, but I am now getting updates to my Rackspace sites that are deployed to their own domain (that is, as opposed to sitting on an intermediate subdomain test link that rackspace provides while building a site…these sit on the websitetestlink.com domain).

It works!1!!!!!!

Has it resolved for anyone else?

• Well…it works for at least a couple sites. I have so far found one site so far that isn’t connecting. No idea what the difference is. I’ll be looking into it later though, while testing others.

• @wilirius, we are on Rackspace as well, and we are wondering if maybe Rackspace made an update to the servers. I’ve been able to update all 3 sites that currently use ACF pro. But with 2 of the sites, we had to spam the product key input a few times before it accepted it. So any that are not taking your product key, just try it a few times, and see if that fixes it.

To everyone else, anyone with this problem, that is NOT using Rackspace, try to enter your product key and update now, so we can determine if this issue is resolved across the board, or only for Rackspace customers.

• @wilirius on OVH no improvement, I’m still waiting for their response.

• I received an answer from OVH, and they told me that it is not possible to make any external connexion with a file_get_contents function on their shared hosting solution.

Does anybody know exactly the protocol and/or function used by ACF to check its update and to download the files ?

• @jsites Yea, trying it repeatedly did work on a stubborn site yesterday. Today though it doesn’t seem to be going through no matter what.

@Loïc I think it just uses whatever WP usually uses to download updates, but with a custom server argument? I believe wp_remote_post/wp_remote_get are the functions used for getting other data from the server/

• Does anybody knows the php function used by wordpress inside wp_remote_post and wp_remote_get ?

• what happens is that there is a long chain of function calls, object create and method calls that eventually end up at

WP_Http::_get_first_available_transport in file wp-includes/class-http.php

This function calls other function that determine what transport method is used based on what is available on your server.

The order of the check can be altered. this method includes this line

$request_order = apply_filters( 'http_api_transports', array( 'curl', 'streams' ), $args, $url );

so WP first checks for CURL and then STREAMS. By default, if you have CURL available I would say that’s what is used. You could create a filter to reverse the order of these and try for STREAMS first?

There are other possibilities as well, not sure if they are of any use in this situation. Search the file wp-includes/class-http.php for “class WP_Http_” to find them all.

• @Hube2 and @wilirius thank you for your responses. I sent the detail to OVH.

• Actually, class WP_HTTP_Proxy looks like it could be promising.

I don’t know the details, but by adding some proxy setting constants to wp-config.php it looks like you could send the request through a proxy that is not having the connection issue.

Like I said, not sure of the details or how to get it working, or even if it would work, but it might be a path to try.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘ACF Pro Cannot Connect to Update Server’ is closed to new replies.