Support

Account

Home Forums ACF PRO ACF Pro Cannot Connect to Update Server

Solved

ACF Pro Cannot Connect to Update Server

• If I create a clean WP install, and add ACF Pro, as soon as I go to the Update page on the menu, it already says “Error. Could not connect to update server”

I’ve copied and pasted my code from my account here multiple times, with the same results. I’m certain I’m entering the correct code, but it cannot submit the information.

• As jsites said, this is not user error. It isn’t even an error with the activation code itself, as the error shows before even being able to enter in the code. This was established early on in the conversation.

It is an issue that has something to do with the hosting environment and the plugin, and the issue is common across at least 2 different hosting environments I see listed here. This is something that needs to be fixed in the plugin. I plan on looking into it more when I get a chance.

• About my case, it isn’t about a wrong or invalid activation code since its working in my local environment and on other hosts that OVH.

Actually, fields are working (I’m always using the acf-json folder and/or generated code to import the field), I just can’t activate my license thereby update the plugin. So this doesn’t stop me from using the plugin.

• It was just a thought, I wasn’t necessarily saying it was operator error, but sometimes when copying and pasting I get things I don’t want.

Not ever seeing this problem I can only guess.

• I got ya, if I didn’t know I could totally see it being a thing where everyone copies it with an extra space, and then when pasting that results in an extra character at the beginning and/or one missing at the end.

Some more details:

PHP 5.4.10
    MySQL 5.1.61

Any more info available if needed.

• Definitely NOT a copy/paste mistake.
    It’s clearly an issue with the Host. But we need help figuring what can be the config on the host that stops the request from reaching ACF activation server.

• On my side, not a licence issue (works perfectly on localhost and on another host), and neither a copy/paste issue (for the same reason).

• The return from wp_remote_post in acf_pro_get_remote_response():

WP_Error Object ( [errors:WP_Error:private] => Array ( [http_request_failed] => Array ( [0] => connect() timed out! ) ) [error_data:WP_Error:private] => Array ( ) )

• Does the host support Curl? although, someone said that it worked on one installation and not on another on the same host, so that shouldn’t be it.

• timed out?

Just out of curiosity, and just another shot in the dark here, what does your phpinfo() say for default_socket_timeout. Is there a difference between servers.

• The host supports cURL.

Inside acf_pro_get_remote_response(), it makes a call to wp_remote_post and passes it a valid url but passes it an empty array for the [‘body’] argument via the $post variable.

• default_socket_timeout is 60

I have installed woo commerce on this site and others on this same host…included in woo commerce system status it tests cURL, wp_remote_post…both of those are working.

• default_socket_timeout is also 60 here and
    cURL support enabled version 7.21.0

• @Hube2 don’t know if you’re referring to me when you said ‘someone said that it worked on one installation and not on another on the same host’

On my side, nothing works with ovh.com, but it is ok with domeneshop.no

• I have tested wp_remote_post and wp_remote_get with the url “http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_remote_post” and it works.

I have tested wp_remote_post and wp_remote_get with the url “http://connect.advancedcustomfields.com/index.php?a=get-info&p=pro” and it does not work either time, returning the message I pasted earlier.

I also tested the url “http://assets.advancedcustomfields.com/add-ons/add-ons.json”, and “http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/” and they fail the same.

• The error that wilirius posted said it is timing out, also that WooCommerce works fine using the same function.

ACF does not set a value for timeout so it will use the defualt.
    The default value for timeout use by WP is 5
    The timeout used by WooCommerce for wp_remote_get() is 60
    $response = wp_remote_get( $this->get_language_package_uri(), array( 'sslverify' => false, 'timeout' => 60 ) );

So, that’s is a difference.

Try adding a timeout arg to the call in ACF of 60?

• 
    	// connect
    	$request = wp_remote_post( $url, array(
    		'timeout' => 45,
    		'body' => $post
            ));

print_r($request);

results in

WP_Error Object ( [errors:WP_Error:private] => Array ( [http_request_failed] => Array ( [0] => couldn't connect to host ) ) [error_data:WP_Error:private] => Array ( ) ) 

• Well, with the “couldn’t connect to server” error, I have run out of ideas. Maybe there is some kind of connection issue between where your server is located and the update server, which I guessing might be in Australia.

• I’ve never had any problems, and still have no problem updating any of my sites that are using ACF (not PRO), all hosted on the same server as the 2 sites I’m currently developing which are using PRO. The PRO sites cannot connect to the update server to submit my License Key, but all the other sites have no issues with pre-PRO ACF.

• The same for me, I have a website on an OVH server running ACF 4.3.9, and I can update it without any problem. All the others websites on OVH using ACF PRO 5 have issues for updating and/or activating the licence.

• The free version of ACF is hosted on the WP repo, which is why there aren’t problems. ACF Pro is self hosted and update is not connecting to the WP repo, it’s connecting to where Eliot is hosing it.

For some reason your having some kind of a connection issue between your host and where the updater needs to connect to. The seems like it must have something to do with your host.

• ACF’s servers are in Denver.

OVH is multinational, all outside of US.

The data center with Rackspace Cloud Sites that I use is in Chicago.

It definitely has something to do with the hosting configurations, but these things can be bypassed, changed, or patched in most cases…once we know what it is. We need to figure out what it is.

• no improvement with 5.1.3 version

• Is there a way to locally activate the pro licence and to transfer the authorization online via the database ? Or a way to include the pro plugin in the template without letting the user modifying the fields without needing to activate the licence ?

@Elliot
    this an issue really problematic, most of my wordpress are now using ACF, and I guess that I am not the only one, and OVH is one of the biggest host provider.
    Again, if you need any access to a website or on a server to make some test, fell free to contact me.

• Hello,

I just purchased ACF Pro and I cannot get the license to register with the server.
    The connection fails each time I try. After 100 bucks, I am really upset as I have to demo a prototype tomorrow… Any thoughts on this matter?
    Latest version.

Thanks in advance,

P.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘ACF Pro Cannot Connect to Update Server’ is closed to new replies.