Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Only list pages with specific value in property in relationship field

Helping

Only list pages with specific value in property in relationship field

• I have pages with a dropdown list containing 3 choices.
    These 3 choices defines the type of the page, and I’m listing out the different types each in their own relationship field.

The pages have a parent – child relationship in the page structure, like this:

type1
       |--type2
       |    |--type3
       |--type2
       |--type2
       |--type2
       |    |--type3
    type1
       |--type2

Basically, in the page structure, type 1 is the grandparent, type 2 the parent, and type 3 is the child.

This is what I am doing now on the acf/fields/relationship/query/name= event:

function filter( $args, $field, $post_id ) {
        $args['post_type'] = 'myposttype';
    	$args['meta_query'] = array(
    		array(
    			'key' => '_type', // The name of the dropdown with the types
    			'value' => 'type2', // The value selected in the dropdown
    			'compare' => '='
    		)
    	);

return $args;
    }
    // filter for every field
    add_filter('acf/fields/relationship/query/name=relationship_field', 'filter', 10, 3);

Here I want to get all pages with the _type dropdown set to type2.
    And it works, sort of.

The problem is when a page is in the grandparent place in the hierarchy, but its type is set to type2, in stead of type1.
    Like this:

|-type1
    |  |--type2
    |  |    |--type3
    |  |--type2
    |  |--type2
    |  |--type2
    |  |    |--type3
    |-type2
    |-type1
       |--type2

Here the type2 towards the bottom is in the grandparent place.
    What happens then is that the relationship fields which gets all pages with the _type dropdown set to type2 only returns the grandparent type2, and leaves out all the rest.
    It is like the acf/fields/relationship/query/name filter only returns the hits on the outmost level in the page hierarchy.

If I changed the grandparent type2 to type1, it would correctly return all the type2 pages from the parent position in the structure.

Can anyone help?
    I just want all the pages where _type is set to type2 to be listed out in a relationship field. I’ve tried to create my own WP_Query like this:

$a = new \WP_Query([
      'post_type' => 'myposttype',
      'meta_query' => array(
    		array(
    			'key' => '_type',
    			'value' => 'type2',
    			'compare' => '='
    		  )
        )
      ]);

var_dump($a->posts);

This returns correctly, so it seems like ACF is doing something to alter the results.

• There is a known problem with the relationship field and hierarchical post types. It’s not really considered a bug. When ACF gets the posts in a hierarchical post type it attempts to short them hierarchically.

so in your condition

|-type1
    |  |--type2
    |  |    |--type3
    |  |--type2
    |  |--type2
    |  |--type2
    |  |    |--type3
    |-type2
    |-type1
       |--type2

the grandparent pages that are “type1” are not returned and when ACF tries to sort them since the grandparents are missing at the top level the sub pages disappear. This is not the case when all of the grandparents are all of the “type1” type because all of the “parent type2” pages are returned.

There isn’t any way that I know of to fix this except to change a core ACF file. I put a fix for another topic here https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/relationship-filter-query-by-page-template/.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Only list pages with specific value in property in relationship field’ is closed to new replies.