Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Database upgrade – 1.5hrs and counting

Solved

Database upgrade – 1.5hrs and counting

• I just purchased ACF Pro. That was in order to achieve label placement as mentioned in forum response at https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/changing-box-label-justification/

I uploaded the ACF Pro plugin folder, and disabled the prior ACF plugin. The ACF message appeared:

“Database Upgrade Required

Thank you for updating to Advanced Custom Fields PRO v5.3.9.2!
    Before you start using the new awesome features, please update your database to the newest version.

Upgrade Database”

I clicked the button. That was an hour and a half ago. It’s still going.

My WordPress consists of approx 60,000 items in a Custom Post Type including plenty of custom meta for each, plus approx 4,500 authors whose Edit User page has plenty of ACF boxes on.

Is this kind of upgrade time normal? I assume so. At least it hasn’t yet fallen over with a memory warning.

I wish the ACF notice was more descriptive about why a database upgrade is required and what exactly a database upgrade is.

• Hi @iamrobertandrews ,

Thanks a lot for reaching out to us.

ACF PRO was built from the bottom up once more thus it stores the fields and the values differently from the original way in in ACF 4 and below.

This is the reason for the database upgrade as it now has to save to the fields using the new format.

Kindly have a look at this article it should give you more details on the same.

https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/whats-new-version-5/

https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/upgrading-v4-v5/

I hope this helps.

• @James
    Thanks for the response.

Three hours in to the upgrade now, BTW.
    It might be an idea if an interstitial page with progress bar could be added at the upgrade step, plus more prior explanation in the notification why an upgrade is required, and maybe a link out from there to the page you mentioned.
    No idea when this is going to end, or if it will just crash under the load.

Incidentally, most of the v5 changes don’t seem relevant to me.

Thanks.

• Umm…

I just accidentally reloaded the ACF-Upgrade page whilst it was still loading.
    It immediately refreshed to the “compete” page:

Advanced Custom Fields Database Upgrade
    Reading upgrade tasks…

Upgrading data to version 5.3.9.2

Database Upgrade complete. See what’s new.

This rather suggests the operation was complete hours ago.
    Unfortunately, I only discovered this by accident, four hours after I clicked “upgrade”.
    Something obviously went a bit wrong. Don’t know if it was due to the size of my database or what.

• Hi @iamrobertandrews

It’s possible that there’s another function in your plugin or theme that prevents the upgrade notice from being updated. In the future, I recommend you to disable the other plugins and changing your theme to WordPress’ stock theme first before upgrading ACF.

I hope this helps 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Database upgrade – 1.5hrs and counting’ is closed to new replies.