Support

Account

Home Forums Add-ons Repeater Field Advanced Custom Repeater Field Page Navigation

Solved

Advanced Custom Repeater Field Page Navigation

• Hi Elliot,

I am using Advanced Custom Repeater Field. I want page navigation in Repeater Field give me sample or idea..

Thank you
    chandru

• Hi @chandru998

Are you wanting page navigation in the backend or frontend of your website?

This kind of functionality does not yet exist in the add-on, but could be written with some simple code.

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot

I want frontend page navigation in Repeater Field.Only 1st 5 Field show in 1st page after that all next next page. If you have any idea this page navigation.

Thanks
    chandru

• Hi @chandru998

Thanks for clarifying.
    You could accomplish this with some simple PHP. Thinking about it, I would like to create a video tutorial on this topic as it would be a very good demonstration of how to use basic PHP with a repeater field.

Until I create the video, you can write this yourself by using a $_GET parameter in the url to set the ‘page’ number.

eg: ?page=2

In your code, use a variable to hold how many rows per page like so:

$rows_per_page = 5;

Then in your repeater field loop, you can add in a conditional statement like so:

<?php 

// vars
    $rows_per_page = 5;
    $page = 1;
    $i = 0;

// read $page from url param
    if( !empty($_GET['page']) )
    {
    	$page = $_GET['page'];
    }

// vars
    $min = $page * $rows_per_page;
    $max = $min + $rows_per_page;

if( have_rows('repeater') ):

while( have_rows('repeater') ): the_row(); $i++;

// ignore this row, if $i is lower than $min
    		if( $i < $min )
    		{
    			continue;
    		}

// stop loop completely, if $i is higher than $max
    		if( $i > $max )
    		{
    			break;
    		}

// Your loop code
            the_sub_field('sub_field');

endwhile;

else :

// no rows found

endif;

?>

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,

Thanks for sharing this codes, but in the next page (url?page=2) is not working and showing my 404 page please help me.

Thanks,

Chieto

• Hi @chieto

Perhaps you need to simplify the code, to make sure that you can pass the ?page=2 parameter.

It is possible that your theme is looking for that GET param and doing it’s own logic which is creating the 404

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,

Can you please share me a link sample on GET param?
    Still no luck.

thanks

• Hi @chieto

A $_GET param is when you add something like ?foo=bar to your url. You can then read these parameters via PHP code via the $_GET array.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    E

• Hi Elliot,

This would add great value to the functionality in some of my projects!

I’m not a genius when it comes to coding, so I’m really looking forward to your video tutorial!

Thanks

• Hi Elliot,

Would it be possible to use the builtin WordPress $paged function instead?
    $page = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1;

And after the loop call the default pagination functions like this?

next_posts_link();
    previous_posts_link();

An working example would be very welcome for this indeed.
    Thanks a lot!

• Hi @Twansparant

The above code is not a WP_Query, therefore the above code would not work,

Thanks
    E

• Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your reply, I know it isn’t a ‘regular’ wordpress query. I’m just trying to get it working like one.

I got my following code working with a custom query_var called albums: Pastebin
    And I can use the url: http://mydomain.local/pagename/?albums=2

The last thing I want to achieve is a rewrite rule for the query var, but somehow that isn’t working yet. I would like an url like this: http://mydomain.local/pagename/page/2/

/* Photo albums pagination parameter */
    function add_albums_query_var(){
    	global $wp;
    	$wp->add_query_var('albums');
    }
    /* Rewrite rules albums pagination */
    function add_albums_rewrite_rule() {
    	add_rewrite_rule('^/page/([0-9]+)/?$', 'index.php?p=25&albums=$matches[1]', 'top');
    }
    add_filter('init', 'add_albums_query_var');
    add_action('init', 'add_albums_rewrite_rule');

25 is the page id where the repeater field is looped.
    Any idea why this isn’t working?

Thanks a lot!

• Hi @chandru998

The above code that I wrote has 0% connection to the WP_Query object. This means you cant modify it via the query code you have above.

You will need to use the code that I wrote above.

Thanks
    E

• I got my pagination working!
    Working example can be found here for those who are interested: ACF repeater field pagination

• I am using this code on ACF(repeater) however it doesn’t work on homepage and also it doesn’t work with permalink(post name) could you please check that or guide me how i could solve this issue?

• Hi akdesigner, which code are you referring to?
    And did you flush your permalinks?

• I am talking about pagination code it.

http://mattlangett.utv2.hemsidor.nu/

We have fixed the issue with permalink however it still not working on homepage.

• Did not test this, but is your homepage set as a static page or does it use the index.php?

Then try changing the second parameter of the add_rewrite_endpoint rule into EP_ALL:
    add_rewrite_endpoint('productpage', EP_ALL);

• http://mattlangett.utv2.hemsidor.nu/?productpage=2

I have turned off pretty permalink and you can check it. It doesn’t work.
    It redirect to blog page.

• Check out the Rewrite endpoints API

I think you need to change the $places parameter into EP_ALL and flush the permalinks again. Let me know if this works.

• Yes the front page is set as static.

Also I have tested below code with (EP_ROOT, EP_PERMALINK, EP_PAGES, EP_ALL) but it doesn’t work 🙁

function productpage_rewrite_endpoint(){
    global $wp_rewrite;
    add_rewrite_endpoint(‘productpage’, EP_ALL);
    $wp_rewrite->flush_rules();
    }
    add_filter(‘init’, ‘productpage_rewrite_endpoint’);

• I just wanted to say thanks to Elliot and Twansparent. Your contributions to this thread helped me implement pagination for a Repeater.

I’ve written up my solution on my blog:

http://f6design.com/journal/2014/03/06/paginating-an-advanced-custom-fields-repeater/

It’s similar to the code Twansparent posted in this thread, but leverages WordPress’ native pagination permalink structure (e.g. /gallery/page/2), so there is no need to do any custom URL rewriting. My pagination is different too, in that it generates pagination links identical to those created by WordPress’ paginate_links function, e.g.

<< Previous 1 … 4 5 6 7 8 … 23 Next >>

Hope that’s helpful to someone.

• Although I ended up using a custom post type for this instead of a repeater field, this is a very useful piece of code!
    Thanks jnicol!

• @Twansparent It’s certainly hard to decide whether a Repeater or a Custom post Type is the better approach. For an image gallery a Repeater is far more user friendly to edit, but if the Repeater grows too large I suspect performance and usability will suffer.

P.S. I realised that my custom function to generate pagination links is totally redundant since WP’s native paginate_links can be used instead. Facepalm. I’ve updated my blog post accordingly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Advanced Custom Repeater Field Page Navigation’ is closed to new replies.