Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues WP_Query orderby date field does not work

Solved

WP_Query orderby date field does not work

• Hi,

I’m really sorry if this thread has been doubled. I got an error by submitting the first one, and my message was totally cleared.

I tried to order my custom post-type (called “vehicle”) by a custom date field I created, called “date_sell”. I tried different ways (with “meta_value” and “meta_value_num” as “orderby” value), but none of them has worked. Here’s the simpliest code I tried to find the problem.

Simple function :

function eai_get_sold_vehicles(){

$args = array(
            'posts_per_page' => -1,
            'post_type' => 'vehicle',
            'order' => 'DESC',
            'meta_key' => 'date_sell',
            'orderby' => 'meta_value_num' // also tried with 'meta_value'
        );

$query = new WP_Query($args);

if($query->have_posts()) : while ($query->have_posts() ) : $query->the_post();
            echo '<br />' . get_field("date_sell");
        endwhile;
        endif;

}

Return :

23/12/2018
    24/10/2018
    07/10/2018
    09/12/2018
    12/11/2018

Here the vehicles are listed as they come in the post-type list, so with the default behaviour, ordered by date of publication.

I’ve searched on other threads, but I still can’t find what I did wrong here.
    Can someone please help me on this ?

Thank you in advance,

N.

• I forgot to reply my own post. I find the issue and the resolution. I post it if anyone ever has the same problem.

Actually, I was using a re-order plugin on the post-type I tried to query, called Post-Types-Order.
    This plugin seems to automaticaly apply a filter for all queries that are pointed the re-ordered post-type. Even in your own code.

There’s a way to prevent that in the API, by adding a parameter in the query args :

ignore_custom_sort' => true

You can find an example here : https://www.nsp-code.com/advanced-post-types-order-api/sample-usage/ (Don’t need to get advanced version to use it).

• I found the problem and resolved it.

I was using a plugin which re-order the post-type I tried to call.
    This plugin is called Reorder-Post-Type.
    It seems to apply a filter on all queries that concerns a post-type affected by the plugin, even in your own code.

If you want to prevent that, there’s a parameter that you can add in your query args, called ignore_custom_sort => true, like this :

$args = array(
            'posts_per_page' => -1,
            'post_type' => 'post',
            'order' => 'DESC',
            'ignore_custom_sort' => true,
            'meta_key' => 'your_custom_field',
            'orderby' => 'meta_value'
        );
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘WP_Query orderby date field does not work’ is closed to new replies.