Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues WordPress Network User Activation get_field conflict and workaround

Solving

WordPress Network User Activation get_field conflict and workaround

• Hi, I set up a wordpress network with two sites. I’m using a get_field function in the header.php file of both sites to get a custom field. This all works beautifully for the site under normal conditions. However when I register a new user, this users gets an activation email with a link to siteurl/wp-activate.php?key=somekey This link however turned out blank. It took me some time to figure out that it hangs on the get_field function. Probably because the function is not initialized yet. I wrapped the call to get_field in an ‘if function_exist(‘get_field’)’ wrap which circumvented the problem (without loading the custom field obviously).

Not sure if this is easily to fix, but thought it worth mentioning. The alternative would probably to use a separate php file in the theme for activation. Haven’t looked into that though.

• Hi @maarteno

May I ask where the get_field call was coming from? In your functions.php file?

I don’t think the header.php file should have been read when a user is created..

• The get_field call is in my header. When you create a new user in the network setup, that user gets an activation email with a link to siteurl/wp-activate.php. That page is rendered via the front-end and hence calls the header. However, without being able to access the get_field function.

• Hi @maarteno
    Is it normal that the wp-activate.php file is reading in the header.php file?

On my install it is the default WP login page

• I’m also having this issue when creating users specifically on a multi-site installation. The registration email sends out a link that goes directly to wp-activate.php which then attempts to render the page. This may be related to: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23197

• I have the same issue on a mutisite network where I’m using get_field in my header.php and a new user is hitting wp-activate.php.

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_field() in /wp-content/themes/themename/header.php on line 24

• hi Austrin,
    did you solved the problem? on our network site we have the same error.

• I’m experiencing this issue now. I have a call to the_field on my menu.

Does anyone have any advice?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘WordPress Network User Activation get_field conflict and workaround’ is closed to new replies.