Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests View Related Records

Solved

View Related Records

• Hi,

Let’s say I have two CPTs “Books” and Authors”. When I add a new Book I select the author(s). Then when I edit an Author I’d like to see the related Books for that Author.

Pods 2.7-beta have achieved this by using Bidirectional Relationships between CPTs. Watch the video at https://pods.io/2017/05/30/pods-2-7-beta/

Does ACF plan to add this feature or is there a way I can display the Related Books for an Author on the back-end?

• Hi Keith,

That’s a great example for the front-end. How do I show the doctors that work in a location on the back-end (i.e when I’m on the “Edit Location” screen)? What’s the action/filter that I need to use to display the list of doctors under the Address field?

• Hello…

Good question…. here’s how I might tackle it…

First… as we know…

We have a ‘Doctors’ CPT
    … with a ‘Locations’ Relationship field.

This ‘Locations’ field may have a series of Location IDs (say: 5, 6, 7)

Now, we have the ‘Locations’ CPT

When looking at ‘Edit Locations’
    … we could have a ‘Doctors’ Relationship field here.
    In it… we could work this hook
    … to fetch all the Docs that are attached to that Location.

Now, as an alternative… if you just wanted to do this for ‘Display’ purposes, you can pre-populate another field with the doc data… just use some other field type other than Relationship… like the ‘Enhanced Message’ add-on that allows for PHP, or maybe some other built-in field type like textarea, and make it read-only. Example here for making it read-only.

But… it’s better probably to use a Relationship field to make for smarter editing. But we have to keep the data in synch on our own from the way I understand it. So… each time a change is made to the ‘Doctors’ Relationship field when editing ‘Locations’, you can write logic that loops through and updates the ‘Doctors’ records (i.e. adds a location or removes a location).

Now, I haven’t thought far enough ahead to point you how to do the last part, because I’m not sure you wanted to get this far down the rabbit hole 🙂 Let me know!

• Hi Keith,

But… it’s better probably to use a Relationship field to make for smarter editing. But we have to keep the data in synch on our own from the way I understand it. So… each time a change is made to the ‘Doctors’ Relationship field when editing ‘Locations’, you can write logic that loops through and updates the ‘Doctors’ records (i.e. adds a location or removes a location).

This is exactly the solution I’m after. I’d like to setup bidirectional relationships between ‘Doctors’ and ‘Locations’ so when I edit a ‘Location’ I can also add/remove ‘Doctors’ from that ‘Location’ and vice versa.
    This would be a great Guide on how to create Bidirectional Relationships between two different CPTs.
    Any idea on how I can do this?

• Hi Keith,

I found the acf-post2post plugin which does exactly what I needed.
    Thank you for your time and help.

• Here is a link in case anyone wants a native solution to Bidirectional Relationships using just ACF.

Read the Example below the code first, then, sifting through the code may make more sense. It introduces code that may be a little foreign, but the solution works really well, and it is flexible too!

• Hi Keith,

I tried the ‘native’ solution and I couldn’t make it work for creating bi-directional relationships between CPTs.
    In my project I have eight CPTs which need to be linked to each other by one-to-many and many-to-many relationships by making Relationship and Post Object fields biderectional.
    The acf-post2post plugin worked perfectly out of the box.

Does the native solution work for creating two way (bidirectional) relationships between DIFFERENT post types? If so, how?

• yes, different CPT’s… one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-many 🙂

• Hi Keith,

I tried it again and it doesn’t work for a post_object field that does not allow multiple values.
    If you look at the code you can see that it’s looking for an array value:

// loop over selected posts and add this $post_id
    if( is_array($value) ) {
     foreach( $value as $post_id2 ) {

I would certainly like to use the ‘native’ solution if there is a way to get it to work with single values.

• Hello… rather than re-do the code… what about a workaround to ‘cast’ your singular value as an array?

Sample:

<?php
    $value = 1;
    $value = (array)$value;
    if ( is_array($value) ) {
      echo 'Yes, it is an array!';
    } else {
      echo 'Nope, not an array :(';
    }
    ?>

• Hi Keith,

Even casting the singular value as an array it still doesn’t work for one-to-many relationships. It works fine for many-to-many relationships.

I have two CPTs (Companies and Addresses) where one company can have many addresses and each address can only belong to one company.
    So when I add/edit an Address I select a Company (which is a post_object field with multiple values DISABLED called ‘rel_com_addr’), however, when I add/edit a Company I can select multiple Addresses (which is a post_object field with multiple values ENABLED called the same ‘rel_com_addr’). In this scenario the native solution doesn’t work.

So the ‘native’ solution only works if you are using a Relationship field or a Post Object field with multiple selections enabled. Even the tutorial states that:

This tutorial uses a Relationship field to select posts, however a Post Object field with multiple selections enabled would work just the same as both field types save data as an array of post ID’s.

I hope that the code in the tutorial will be updated so that it also works with one-to-many relationships.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘View Related Records’ is closed to new replies.