Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Using custom fields (including post relationship) to build custom post title

Solving

Using custom fields (including post relationship) to build custom post title

• Hey guys, I’m trying to build a custom post title using ACF custom fields. I’m almost there. Code below.

The one area that’s holding me up is I’m grabbing the $location variable from a relationship field (location_relationship) to include in the slug string.

It should look like: /location-start-date-end-date. However, it’s returning /start-date-end-date on “Publish”. On “Update” it then adds /location- to the slug string.

Any ideas on what I should look into to get the location into the slug upon post publish?

Thank so much!

Josh

// Auto-populate post title with Event dates.
    function loud_update_postdata( $value, $post_id, $field ) {

$date_start = strtotime(get_field('trip_departure_date', $post_id));
    	$date_end = strtotime(get_field('date', $post_id));
    	$location_relationship = get_field('location_relationship', $post_id);

$location = $location_relationship[0]->post_title;

if( $date_start == $date_end ) {

$start = date_i18n('M d Y', $date_start);
    	     $title = $start;

} else {

$start = date_i18n('M d Y', $date_start);
    	     $end = date_i18n('M d Y', $date_end);
    	     $title = $location .' - '. $start .' - '. $end;
    	}

$slug = sanitize_title( $title );

$postdata = array(
    	     'ID'	   => $post_id,
        	 'post_title'  => $title,
    	     'post_type'   => 'short_term_trips',
    	     'post_name'   => $slug
      	);

wp_update_post( $postdata );

return $value;

}
    add_filter('acf/update_value/name=trip_departure_date', 'loud_update_postdata', 10, 3);
    add_filter('acf/update_value/name=date', 'loud_update_postdata', 10, 3);
    add_filter('acf/update_value/name=location_relationship', 'loud_update_postdata', 10, 3);

• Hi @joshdoxicology-com

Your code looks fine and should work.

Have you tried to debug the data contained in the $location, $start and $end variables. This can give you insights into what could be causing the issue.

For more info, check out: http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/debug/#debugging-data

• Thanks, James, for the response.

This is not my strong suit, but…

Do you think the issue lies with the fact that the third filter is running before a post ID has been created? That it can only update the postdata if the post has been created?

Could it be because this is running from a Relationship custom field, and it can only reference $post_id upon “Update” and NOT “Publish”?

Thanks again!

J

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Using custom fields (including post relationship) to build custom post title’ is closed to new replies.