Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Using ACF field as Image Caption

Solving

Using ACF field as Image Caption

• Does anyone know if this is possible: I’d like to create an ACF field for Photo Credit. I would assign that field to attachments, so that when I upload an image, I can select either a WP user (ACF User Field) or the photographer isn’t a WP user add some text (ACF Text field) denoting the name of the photographer.

What I’d like to do is then automatically add that below a photo when there are values. I’m having trouble getting that to work. I think what I want is the img_caption_shortcode filter. Something like:

add_filter(‘img_caption_shortcode’, ‘caption_shortcode_with_photog’, 10, 3);

But I haven’t managed to get it to work.

Might anyone know how this could be done who could steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!

• Hi @davidzack,

Yup, you’re right – you can utilize img_caption_shortcode! The example from the WordPress codex is a good skeleton structure to work off of to add the markup you’d like to.

Something to keep in mind is that you’ll need to pass a second parameter when getting your photo_credit field to target the media it is attached to.

One way of getting the appropriate ID is to use preg_match & regex to split the number off before the $attr are defined in that example:

preg_match( '/(\d+)$/', $attr['id'], $matches );
    $media_id = $matches[1];
    $credit = get_field( 'your_field_name', $media_id );

From there you can add conditionals how you’d like & place it where you’d like within your markup. Let me know how it pans out!

• Exactly what I searched for but unfortunately neither image_send_to_editor nor img_caption_shortcode seems to work with Gutenberg. Is there any known option to use the ACF fields in media files with Gutenberg (except developing own blocks)?

Cheers,
    Alf

• Hello @adrolli

I’m looking exactly for that.

Have you found any solution, please?

Thank you in advance!

• I developed my own block, but I don’t recommend as Gutenberg evolves much to fast.

I think ACF Blocks is the best solution. You should be able to create your own block and save it as preset without writing a single line of code. I also plan to replace my blocks with ACF Blocks.

HTH,
    Alf

• You should be able to create your own block and save it as preset without writing a single line of code. I also plan to replace my blocks with ACF Blocks. kiss anime

• Better to create your own block and keep it as preset without inluding and writnig a line of code? I did same on best 4 slice toaster oven 2021

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Using ACF field as Image Caption’ is closed to new replies.