Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues User Name Field – Display Name Only

Solved

User Name Field – Display Name Only

• I’m using ACF to create a ‘Project’ post type, we want to have a list of team members, which are selected from the WordPress Users. I’m having an issue with the ‘User’ field, I’ve tried using the ‘User’ field as normal with the Multi-Select option and the following code:

<?php

$values = get_field('teammembers');
    if($values)
    {
    	echo '<ul>';

foreach($values as $value)
    	{
    		echo '<li>' . $value . '</li>';
    	}

echo '</ul>';
    }

// always good to see exactly what you are working with
    var_dump($values);

?>

But this displays all info about the user along with the profile image:

Array

array(1) { [0]=> array(1) { [“team_member_name”]=> array(11) { [“ID”]=> string(1) “1” [“user_firstname”]=> string(0) “” [“user_lastname”]=> string(0) “” [“nickname”]=> string(15) “NICKNAME” [“user_nicename”]=> string(5) “admin” [“display_name”]=> string(15) “DISPLAYNAME” [“user_email”]=> string(24) “EMAIL ADDRESS” [“user_url”]=> string(0) “” [“user_registered”]=> string(19) “2013-08-19 08:20:47” [“user_description”]=> string(0) “” [“user_avatar”]=> string(236) “” } } }

I’ve also tried using the ‘User’ field in Select mode using the repeater plugin, using the following to display it:

<?php if(get_field('teammembers')): ?>

<ul>

<?php while(has_sub_field('teammembers')): ?>

<li><?php the_sub_field('team_member_name'); ?></li>

<?php endwhile; ?>

</ul>

<?php endif; ?>

This again displays more information than I need, along with the profile image:

1, , , NICK NAME, admin, DISPLAY NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, , 2013-08-19 08:20:47, , PROFILE IMAGE

How can I simply get it to show only the display name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi @ashley

You can use an array like so:

$values = get_field('teammembers');
    if($values)
    {
    	echo '<ul>';

{
    		echo '<li>' . $value['display_name'] . '</li>';
    	}

echo '</ul>';
    }

• This was perfect, thanks a lot!

• Hi elliot, I am attempting to do the same thing, but the username field is part of a Repeater. So it is an array within an array!

Very new to WordPress (though have been kicking goals the last few days!) – can you give me a possible example I can work from?

Obviously the code below is dodge, but show you what i am trying to do. My repeater is ‘notes_added’, it contains a sub-field ‘user_meta’ which currently spits out an array of all user meta information, like ashley described. It also has a sub-field ‘note_text’ – not an array and requires no filtering. I only want to display the NICKNAME of the user on the page, in a table cell.

<?php

if(get_field('notes_added')): ?>

<h1>Notes</h1>
      <table>

<?php while(has_sub_field('notes_added')): ?>

<tr><td><?php the_sub_field('user_meta', 'nickname'); ?></td> <td><?php the_sub_field('note_text'); ?></td></tr>

<?php endwhile; ?>

</table>

<?php endif; ?>

Hope you can help, thanks.

• Another brave yet misguided attempt – tried to get closer to your example above – am I getting close?

<?php

if( get_field('notes_added') )
    {
      while( has_sub_field('user_meta') )
      { 
        $values = get_sub_field('user_meta');
        $content = get_sub_field('note_text');

echo '<h1>Notes</h1><table>';

{
        echo '<tr><td>' . $value['nickname'] . '</td> <td>'.$content. '</td></tr>';
      }

echo '</table>';
      }
    }

?>
  • Hi @spacewindow

Please do not ‘blindly code’. Use a debugging function to print out the variable content. You will have your issue fixed in 5 seconds.

Thanks
    E

• Point taken. I will go and Google how to do some proper debugging. Currently learning WordPress by myself, with very little guidance – and I am not experienced with PHP at all – any chance you can give me a pointer where I’m going wrong in the meantime?

Sorry, I don’t mean to waste other people’s time through laziness, I assure you this is not the case. I’ve spent several hours trying to figure this out already.

• Well it took me a day of searching, but I hit upon the solution. Hope this helps someone to avoid the same trouble.

<?php

$values = get_field('notes_added');

if($values)

echo'<h1>Notes</h1>';

{
    foreach ($values as $value){

echo '<table><tr><td>'.$value['user_meta']['nickname'].'</td><td>'.$value['note_text'].'</td></tr></table>';
    }

}

?>
  • I have a similar problem. How to display nicknames of users using repeater field and user field. User field works fine when i use it without repeater. When use repeater field and try to display nicknames i see: “1aaaf2<3GMGgGm2<5PppPp2” not nicknames (admin user2 john).

Here is my code:

`<?php while( has_sub_field(‘secret_content_new’) ): ?>

<?php $premium_user = get_sub_field(‘premium_user_list’);?>
    <?php if ( $premium_user ) : ?>
    <?php foreach($premium_user as $value) {
    echo $value[‘nickname’] ;
    };?>

<?php endif;?>

<?php endwhile; ?>`

• Hi @pawelpoz

Please see the above response from @spacewindow. His code shows the correct syntax for nickname

Thanks
    E

• Perhaps this is a difference with newer versions of PHP – but the syntax that @spacewindow provides no longer works – it throws a somewhat vague PHP error of “Warning: Illegal string offset”.

After a lot of digging, I realized that the User field doesn’t apparently return an actual array, but instead returns an array in a string, thus triggering the warning.

Therefore, the following works for retrieving the associative array element by position for nickname.

<?php
    $values = get_field('user_field_name');
    if($values)
    $array = array_values($values);
    echo $array[3];
    }
    ?>

For reference on the keys depending on the User info you’re wanting to retrieve, using print_r(array_keys($values)); reveals the following:

Array ( [0] => ID [1] => user_firstname [2] => user_lastname [3] => nickname [4] => user_nicename [5] => display_name [6] => user_email [7] => user_url [8] => user_registered [9] => user_description [10] => user_avatar )

Just swap the number for the element you’re wanting.

In case this helps anyone else save hours of digging.
    J

• I have a similar problem like ashley.
    For my events (events manager) speakers will be selected from the user database (ACF select user). I only need the person’s name.

I am a PHP beginner and ask for help.
    I think I need to store the value from the array in a variable

$ values ​​= Get_Field ('speakers');
    $ values ​​= $ value ['display_name'];

is that correct?

The result I want to save as a custom field. This I can enter as Atribut in the format of events manager

Now my beginner questions:
    What is the function? Where it stands (funktions.php?)? How can I access it?
    For a few tips I would be very grateful !!
    many greetings
    Ingo

• @elliot and if the field to pull the user is a sub field? How would this array? I tried several times, but it returns only the first letter of the field $values = get_sub_field('relationship_user');

This:

$values = get_field('user');		
    if($values)
    {
    echo '<ul>';
    {
    echo '<li>' . $value['display_name'] . '</li>';
    }
    echo '</ul>';
    }

dont work, return first letter of the field
    This code by @demo38 work:

$values = get_field('user');
    	if($values){
    	echo $array[5];

Why?

• @websul – if you’re loading a User Name Field inside of a Relationship Field, then you might want something like:

<?php 
    $posts = get_field('relationship_field_name');
    if( $posts ): ?>
        <ul>
        <?php foreach( $posts as $post): // variable must be called $post (IMPORTANT) ?>
            <?php setup_postdata($post); ?>
              <li>
                <?php
                $values = get_field('user_field_name');
                if($values)
                echo $array[5];
                }
                ?>
              </li>
        <?php endforeach; ?>
        </ul>
        <?php wp_reset_postdata(); // IMPORTANT - reset the $post object so the rest of the page works correctly ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

You wouldn’t need the sub_field in this case: http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/relationship/

• @demo38 Thanks for reply.

Probably for my bad english you don’t understand

I have a repeater field with name “agenda”, in it, i have a sub field “user”, in which case it is a relationship user

Look: https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagens/repeater-jpg

• @websul If your Repeater Field name is Agenda, you might be able to use something like this:

<?php
    // check if the repeater field has rows of data
    if( have_rows('agenda') ):

echo '<ul>';

// loop through the rows of data
        while ( have_rows('agenda') ) : the_row();

echo '<li>';

// display a sub field value
              $values = get_sub_field('user_field_name');
                if($values)
                echo $array[5];
                }

echo '</li>';

endwhile;

echo '</ul>';

else :
        // no rows found
    endif;
    ?>
  • @demo38 Man, u save me. Thank you very much! Worked perfectly for me, just not understand why Elliot codes do not work. Ex: $value['display_name']

• @websul Glad it helped – I’m not sure about the other syntax, I did a lot of troubleshooting a while ago trying to figure things out for the User Field and that’s just what I had pieced together.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘User Name Field – Display Name Only’ is closed to new replies.