Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Sorting by Custom Fields, with Priority

Solved

Sorting by Custom Fields, with Priority

• I’m working on an employee directory for a site that is running ACF 3.5.8.2 (kind of stuck with this version at the moment).

What I’m trying to do is sort this directory in two ways. I have custom fields called ‘dir-last-name’ (text) and ‘dir-department-head’ (checkbox).

If someone is listed as a Department Head, I want to list them first in their respective department.

Then, for everyone else in that department, I want to sort them alphabetically by their Last Name.

I read through this post, which was helpful:
    http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/how-to-query-posts-filtered-by-custom-field-values/

However, what I’m trying to figure out is how to ensure that the Department Head will get listed first. Any suggestions?

• One possible route is to query for the Department Head first, and then do a second query to get the remaining posts excluding the Department Head post id. It would be using the exclude parameter from get_postshttp://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/get_posts

• Thanks! I have thought about doing 2 queries but I’m trying to salvage the setup of the their template if possible.

Right now I’ve got a query like this:

<?php
    $args = array(
    'post_type' => 'staff',
    'posts_per_page' => -1,
    'meta_key'	=> 'dir-last-name',
    'orderby' => 'meta_value',
    'order' => 'ASC'
    );
    query_posts($args);
    ?>

So that is grabbing everyone’s last name and sorting it. The template also has this bit of code, which I’m hoping to modify:

<?php if (in_array("Administration", (array) get_field('dir-department'))): ?>

In this bit, it’s looking for entries in the Administration department. Code below that (not included here) formats the entry nicely.

What I would love to do is modify this to also look for a value of “yes” in the ‘dir-department-head’ field. So I want to look for someone in the Administration department (like the code above) and then also check to see if they are a Department Head. Basically an if/else statement that checks for a Department Head, then moves on to the rest of the list.

I know only enough PHP to be dangerous so everything I’ve tried to do doesn’t seem to work 😉

• Ah, maybe like:

<?php if (in_array("Administration", (array) get_field('dir-department')) || ('yes' == get_field('dir-department-head'))): ?>

• ractoon, thanks for your help! That code led me in the right direction. I did end up having to use 2 queries.

First I checked for department heads:

<?php //Get the Department Head First ?>
    <?php
    $args = array(
    	'numberposts' => -1,
    	'post_type' => 'staff',
    	'meta_key' => 'dir-department-head',
    	'meta_value' => 'yes'

);
    query_posts($args);
    ?>
    	<?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<?php if (in_array("Administration", (array) get_field('dir-department')) AND ('yes' == get_field('dir-department-head'))): ?>

Formatting fields, etc.

<?php endif; ?> 
    <?php endwhile; endif; ?>
    <?php wp_reset_query(); ?>

Then, a separate query for the rest of the employees, excluding the “yes” answers in the department head field by pulling only those entries who left the field blank:

<?php // Get Other Deparment Employees ?>
    <?php
    $args = array(
    'post_type' => 'staff',
    'posts_per_page' => -1,
    'meta_key'	=> 'dir-last-name',
    'orderby' => 'meta_value',
    'order' => 'ASC'
    );
    query_posts($args);
    ?>
    <?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <?php if (in_array("Administration", (array) get_field('dir-department')) AND ('' == get_field('dir-department-head'))): ?>

Formatting fields, etc.

<?php endif; ?> 
    <?php endwhile; endif; ?>
    <?php wp_reset_query(); ?>

Thanks for leading me in the right direction!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sorting by Custom Fields, with Priority’ is closed to new replies.