Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Sort Taxonomy terms

Solved

Sort Taxonomy terms

• Hi,

I need to sort the taxonomy terms I get from a Taxonomy custom field.
    I have multiple selected term objects and I was just wondering if it’s possible to use the ‘orderby’ parameter or something similar.

I’ve found this but I don’t know how to apply to the Basic display (multiple values).

Thanks
    Davide

• I don’t think there is any automatic way to do this. The way I do it is that I add a field to the term editor page, usually called something like “sort_order”.
    Then my code for sorting them will look something like this:

$taxonomy = 'my_taxonomy';
    $args = array(); // whatever arguments you're using
    $terms = get_terms($taxonomy, $args);
    $count = count($terms);
    for ($i=0; $i<$count; $i++) {
      $terms[$i]->sort_order = get_field('sort_order', $taxonomy.'_'.$terms[$i]->term_id;
    }
    usort($terms, 'my_sort_terms_function';

the sorting function looks something like this:

function my_sort_terms_function($a, $b) {
      // this function expects that items to be sorted are objects and
      // that the property to sort by is $object->sort_order
      if ($a->sort_order == $b->sort_order) {
        return 0;
      } elseif ($a->sort_order < $b->sort_order) {
        return -1;
      } else {
        return 1;
      }
    }

• Hi,
    thanks for your solution.
    After searching how to sort taxonomy terms in WordPress I haven’t found any solution except to use a plugin, so I opted for this plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-taxonomy-order-ne/
    and after changing the order I can have the taxonomy terms in the Taxonomy field sorted as I want.

Regards

• Thanks Hube2,
    your solution works like a charm!
    Before I didn’t know how to re-order an array of terms objects.

• A solution I came up with, was to use a repeater field and then within that repeater, use a single choice taxonomy select.

The user can then select a single taxonomy of your choice and reorder them in the repeater.

It’s not the nicest solution, as they could also add the same taxonomy’s, but hey-ho!

• In the new version of ACF (5.5.x) now uses term meta and WP allows meta queries for terms, so these work-arounds should no longer be needed.

• Hi John,

Could you please advise in light of your suggestion above with 5.5.x as to how I can modify the below to change the ordering?

$sub_categories = get_field('featured_categories');
    foreach ($sub_categories as $sub_category):
        echo $sub_category->name;
    endif;

sub-category is a Taxonomy field with the return value as Term Object

• @cargoodrich since it’s a taxonomy field you would need to use the filter provided by the taxonomy field to alter the call to get_terms https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acffieldstaxonomyquery/. To be honest I don’t know the exact solution.

• Indeed, it’s not possible with get_terms (get_categories) args, cause final query contains “INNER JOIN wp_termmeta” but acf doesn’t use this table

So loop through it with usort()

the shortest variant for now is

usort($terms, function($a. $b) use ($taxonomy) {
       return get_field('sort_order', $taxonomy.'_'.$a->term_id) - get_field('sort_order', $taxonomy.'_'.$b->term_id);
    });

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sort Taxonomy terms’ is closed to new replies.