Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Setting Parent Posts from Frontend

Solving

Setting Parent Posts from Frontend

• Hi there, long time lurker… generally tend to get the job done from snippets I find around here, but this has been racking my brain for a good few weeks. How can I set a parent post from the frontend? I am using elementor and acf front end with great success, but we are looking to add hierarchical support for a custom post type called myJournals. We would like to give users the ability to link parent journals but can’t seem to make it work. We have ‘hierarchical’ => true so it is working in the backend, but all of our users including editors will be limited to front-end access only.

We have set a relationship field within ACF called related_journals and have tried numerous things in the functions.php to make it work. Any chance you guys could throw us a bone and point us in the right direction?

Also, how would I go about adding a taxonomy term from a field to the post title upon creation? We would like a pre-fix added onto post title and name but it only returns taxonomy number and not the name

• Before I answer the entire question. What is the return value of the taxonomy field set to? Term ID or Object?

• I have tried with term id and object with the same results. I believe the term id was at least giving me the term number, whereas object didn’t show anything.
    We have tried both wp_get_post_terms and get_the_terms with no luck.

• object is coming back as an array, which we can’t seem to get the name of for some reason. I have tried

$term = wp_get_object_terms($post->ID, 'myterm');
    	  $first_term = $term[0];
    	  $term_name = $first_term->name;
              $new_title = $post_id.'- '.$term_name; 

to to avail. my php is quite limited so I’m sure I am not going about this the right way. post ID shows, but I either get an array, or nothing. The case above results in nothing, but if I set new_title to $term it will say array

• To set the parent post from the front end you need a relationship field that is only available on the front end. Set this up to start. Add a post object field that only allows one selection.

Create the following filters for your field in functions.php

// only show field on front of site
    // https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acf-prepare_field/
    add_filter('acf/prepare_field/name=YOUR FIELD NAME HERE', 'field_only_on_front');
    function field_only_on_front($field) {
      if (is_admin()) {
        return false;
      }
      return $field;
    }

// alter the acf query of the post object field to only show top level posts
    https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acf-fields-post_object-query/
    add_filter('acf/fields/post_object/query/name=YOUR FIELD NAME HERE', 'only_top_level_posts', 20, 3);
    function only_top_level_posts($args, $field, $post_id) {
      $args['post_parent'] = 0;
      return $args;
    }

After you do this set up your taxonomy field to return term objects

Once all that is done then then create an acf/save_post filter in functions.php

add_action('acf/save_post', 'update_and_save_journal_post');
    function update_and_save_journal_post($post_id) {
      // make sure to only do this on the right post type
      $post_type = get_post_type($post_id);
      if ($post_type != 'YOUR POST TYPE HERE') {
        return;
      }
      // get the post
      $post = get_post($post_id);
      // get the parent, unformatted, ID only
      $parent = get_field('YOUR POST OBJECT FIELD', $post_id, false);
      if ($parent ) {
        $post->post_parent = $parent;
      }

// get the taxonomy field
      $terms = get_field('YOUR TAXONOMY FIELD;, $post_id);
      if (!empty($terms) && !is_wp_error($terms)) {
        $term = terms[0];
        $post->post_title = $term->name.$post->post_title;
      }
      // remove this action so that an infinite loop is not created
      remove_filter('acf/save_post', 'update_and_save_journal_post');
      // update the post
      wp_update_post($post);
      // re-add this filter
      add_action('acf/save_post', 'update_and_save_journal_post');
    }

Please note that none of the above code has been tested for syntax errors.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.