Support

Account

Home Forums Bug Reports Setting $field['default_value'] not working in acf/prepare_field

Solving

Setting $field['default_value'] not working in acf/prepare_field

• Hi Elliot,
    I’m using ACF Forms and am trying to set the default value of a checkbox field (multiple checkboxes, some of them initially checked) through the filter acf/prepare_field – it doesn’t have any effect though. It works through acf/load_field, but I’m having some other issues there with query vars not being available, probably because it’s too early in the loop.

I think this could potentially be a bug – shouldn’t it be possible to set defaults via acf/prepare_field?

Cheers,
    Moritz

• It should be possible to set the default value using acf/prepare field.

More information on the field and the code your using to try to set the default would help.

• Hi @hube2,
    currently, I’ve split up the code into setting the available choices for the checkboxes in acf/prepare_field and defining the default value for the field in acf/load_field. I hope my code below is enough to understand what I’m doing.

function wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_values( $field ) {

if (!is_admin()) {
            // Only in frontend
            $verfuegbarkeiten = get_query_var('verfuegbarkeiten') ?? $_SESSION['verfuegbarkeiten'] ;
            $sortiment_heute = get_query_var('sortiment_heute') ?? $_SESSION['sortiment_heute'];

if (!empty($sortiment_heute)) {
                $field['default_value'] = wptd_get_brote_available($sortiment_heute, $verfuegbarkeiten);
            }
        }

return $field;
    }
    add_filter('acf/load_field/key=field_5eddd053baf5a', 'wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_values');

function wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_choices( $field ) {

if (!is_admin()) {
            // Only in frontend
            $sortiment_heute = get_query_var('sortiment_heute');

$field['choices'] = array_reduce($sortiment_heute, function($result, $item) {
                    $result[$item] = get_the_title($item);
                    return $result;
                }, []);
            }
        }

return $field;
    }
    add_filter('acf/prepare_field/key=field_5eddd053baf5a', 'wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_choices');

• Hi @hube2,
    I have currently split my code for loading the choices for my checkboxes and for setting the default value. I hope my code gives you enough insight to understand what I’m trying to do.

function wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_values( $field ) {

if (!is_admin()) {
            // Only in frontend
            $verfuegbarkeiten = get_query_var('verfuegbarkeiten') ?? $_SESSION['verfuegbarkeiten'] ;
            $sortiment_heute = get_query_var('sortiment_heute') ?? $_SESSION['sortiment_heute'];

$field['default_value'] = wptd_get_brote_available($sortiment_heute, $verfuegbarkeiten);
            }
        }

return $field;
    }
    add_filter('acf/load_field/key=field_5eddd053baf5a', 'wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_values');

function wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_choices( $field ) {

if (!is_admin()) {
            // Only in frontend
            $sortiment_heute = get_query_var('sortiment_heute');

$field['choices'] = array_reduce($sortiment_heute, function($result, $item) {
                    $result[$item] = get_the_title($item);
                    return $result;
                }, []);
            }
        }

return $field;
    }
    add_filter('acf/prepare_field/key=field_5eddd053baf5a', 'wptd_acf_load_brot_verfuegbarkeit_choices');

Cheers,
    Moritz

• Hey @hube2,
    I just found out that I need to use $field['value'] instead of $field['default_value'] in acf/prepare_field to do what I want to do! 🙂

Cheers,
    Moritz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyze site traffic and personalize content. Read about how we use cookies and how you can control them in our Cookie Policy. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.