Support

Account

Home Forums Add-ons Repeater Field Repeater populating dropdown on post edit page

Solving

Repeater populating dropdown on post edit page

• Hi.

I’m looking to create a Repeater-field in my Options-page. The repeater shall then populate into a Drop-down visible on the “Edit”-Page of a post. I’d like to use it to be able to create items of contact information for the management team on the options page, and have them selectable on posts/pages.

Is this possible?

• Hi @Patrik

This sounds like a good fit for a tutorial I wrote here:
    http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/tutorials/dynamically-populate-a-select-fields-choices/

This covers how to dynamically populate a select field based on an options page repeater!

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    E

• This seems to do exactly what I need!
    However I’ve done what the tutorial says (Example 2,) but it’s not working.

Is the tutorial meant for populating a drop-down on an “Edit post page”, or made for use on the front-end?

Edit:
    Does the tutorial require that I include ACF in my theme, or can it remain a as a plugin?

• Hi @Patrik

This does not require ACF to be added in your theme

The tutorial shows how to modify a field object. If you load this field on the front end, then the above code will run.

Thanks
    E

• Ah I see. That’s the problem then – I load the field within the Admin, so the code doesn’t execute… Is that possible to do?

• Hi @Patrik

I don’t quite understand what you mean by the above, and I don’t know how to answer your question. Can you please re phrase?

Thanks
    E

• Ok so, this is what I want to do:

I want to have a drop-down (<select>) on the Posts > Add Post / Edit Post page. I want this drop-down to be populated by a <i>Repeater</i> on the Options page.

Essentially, I can then go to the Options page only visible to me, and using the repeater I can add Contact Persons for example.
    Then, as a regular user adds a post (a press release for instance,) he/she can choose which of the Contact Persons I’ve added, to be visible on the press release itself.

• Hi @Patrik

Yes, this is will work with the above tutorial.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    E

• Then I must have done something wrong, because I couldn’t get it to work :/

I’ll try again and I’ll let you know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Repeater populating dropdown on post edit page’ is closed to new replies.