Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Relation field meta_query seemingly ignored

Solved

Relation field meta_query seemingly ignored

• Hi,

I have a (category) relation custom field in my posts called im_featured_on_category_pages — basically it allows an admin to select if the post should be “featured” on the selected category pages.

In a function called get_category_featured($catID) inside my functions.php file, I have a function with the following get_posts query:

$cat_featured_posts = get_posts([
    	'numberposts' => 3,
    	'post_type' => 'post',
    	'category' => $catID,
    	'meta_query' => [
    		'relation' => 'AND',
    		[
    			'key' => 'im_featured_on_category_pages',
    			'compare' => 'EXISTS'
    		],
    		[
    			'value' => '',
    			'compare' => '!='
    		],
    		[
    			'value' => '"' . $catID . '"',
    			'compare' => 'LIKE'
    		]
    	],
    	'orderby' => 'date',
    	'order' => 'DESC'
    ]);

This query works…it only gets 3 posts within that category…but…the meta_query is seemingly ignored. It still returns all posts whether or not the ACF field exists, is empty, or has the correct value I’m looking for.

Basically I want the returned posts to be:
    1) In the category provided (catID)
    2) Must have a field called im_featured_on_category_pages
    3) im_featured_on_category_pages must not be empty
    4) im_featured_on_category_pages must contain (‘LIKE’) the $catID
    5) The 3 posts returned must be ordered by date (newest first)

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: So I’ve tried several different queries, and no matter what I put in the meta_query…it seems to be ignored…I even took the meta_query out and am getting the same result without it. It’s like get_posts() is completely ignoring my meta_query. Does that have anything to do with the fact that I’m using it in functions.php and not in a template?

• Sorry guys…I actually inherited this install from someone else. The problem was a plugin (BEEP, https://wordpress.org/plugins-wp/brilliant-easy-exclude-posts/)…It was causing my meta_queries not to work at all. I’m going to file a report with the plugin folks, but it looks like they aren’t maintaining it anymore anyway. Hope this helps someone along the way :/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Relation field meta_query seemingly ignored’ is closed to new replies.