Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Query posts with tag specified by custom field

Solved

Query posts with tag specified by custom field

• I have a profile page on which i want to show all posts with a the tag xy, that is specified in a custom field. I’m having trouble handing the String, which i got from the field over to the wp-query, which gives me the posts with the tag.

I have currently this to setup my query:

$original_query = $wp_query;
    $tagstr = '' + the_field('usertag');
    $wp_query = null;
    $wp_query = new WP_Query( 'tag=$tagstr');

The akward thing is, that it outputs the String of the field itself onto the page sourcecode. I have no echo of the $tagstr variable and am not getting the value of the “usertag” field anywhere else on the page whatsoever, so i absolutely don’t know where this is coming from.

The funny thing is it works fine if i hardcode the String into my code like this:

$wp_query = null;
    $wp_query = new WP_Query( 'tag=test');

I’m really confused about what is going wrong there…

• Hi @flowbob,

That would be because the_field echoes the output.

You want to use get_field => http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/functions/get_field/

• I tried

$tagstr = get_field('usertag');
    echo $tagstr;
    $wp_query = null;
    $wp_query = new WP_Query( 'tag=$tagstr')

but it does nothing. (i echo’d $tagstr to check whether it’s the right value and it seems to be correct).

• If echo $tagstr; shows a value, then it sounds like tag=$tagstr is just returning zero results.

“Tag=” can only look for tag slugs. Are you sure that the value of $tagstr is equal to the tag slug?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query#Tag_Parameters

• Hi @flowbob

Becuase your WP_Query uses a literal string 'tag=$tagstr', the variable will not be converted.

If you wish to use the parameter in this manor, just cahnge to double quotes like so:
    "tag=$tagstr"

You can also wrap variables like so:
    "tag={$tagstr}"

Your best bet is to always use an array instead of a string. Also make sure you use the post_type param.

Thanks
    E

• @sdawson26 the tag was the right one the issue was the conversion of the string, as elliot pointed out.

@elliot
    this was exactly what solved the issue for me. thaks!

I should really try to lern PHP – at least the very basics like these datatypes…

I really appreciate the support you guys give here! It’s awesome.
    And @elliot: the plugin and the page here is just plain awesome! Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Query posts with tag specified by custom field’ is closed to new replies.