Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Query on relationship field fails (performance issue?)

Solved

Query on relationship field fails (performance issue?)

• Hi there,

I have website with about 600+ events (custom post types) and each event can have genres (there are about 18, these are also custom post types).

I link genres to events with the relationship field, works great.

When I’m on an event page, which has for instance the genres jazz, blues and rock, I would like to query all the events that also have jazz OR blues OR rock (that’s why I’m using OR and LIKE in the query).

Using echo $query->request I’m able to see the query (see below). If I put this in PHPMyAdmin, the query takes very long to complete (have to restart the server because it doesn’t finish at all actually).

Someone suggested to me that there should be an extra table in the db which holds the relationships to make them easily queryable. Is that so? If not; is there a way to make my query more efficient? (please note: if I change the OR statement to an AND statement the query works).

The SQL query:

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS yt_posts.ID 
    FROM yt_posts 

INNER JOIN yt_postmeta ON (yt_posts.ID = yt_postmeta.post_id) 
    INNER JOIN yt_postmeta AS mt1 ON (yt_posts.ID = mt1.post_id) 
    INNER JOIN yt_postmeta AS mt2 ON (yt_posts.ID = mt2.post_id) 

WHERE 1=1 
    AND yt_posts.post_type = 'events' 
    AND (yt_posts.post_status = 'publish') 
    AND ( 
    	(yt_postmeta.meta_key = 'genres' AND CAST(yt_postmeta.meta_value AS CHAR) LIKE '%\"1241\"%') 
    	OR (mt1.meta_key = 'genres' AND CAST(mt1.meta_value AS CHAR) LIKE '%\"1242\"%') 
    	OR (mt2.meta_key = 'genres' AND CAST(mt2.meta_value AS CHAR) LIKE '%\"1240\"%')
     	)

GROUP BY yt_posts.ID ORDER BY yt_posts.post_date ASC LIMIT 0, 4

And my wp_query:

$query_genres = array();
        $query_genres['relationship'] = 'OR';

$genres = get_field('genres');
        foreach($genres as $genre) {
            array_push($query_genres,
                array(
                 'key' => 'genres',
                 'value' => '"' . $genre->ID . '"',
                 'compare' => 'LIKE'
                )
            );
        }

$args = array(
            'post_type' => 'events',
            'meta_query' => $query_genres,
            'posts_per_page' => 4,
            'post_status' => 'publish',
            'orderby'	=> 'date_from',
            'order' => 'ASC'
        );
  • Hi @joostvanhoof

The relationship field does not create an efficient connection, just an array of post ID’s

If you want efficiency of linking together posts, please use the posts 2 posts plugin.

This is the best solution

Thanks
    E

• Hi Elliot,

Thanks for the reply. Would you consider implementing this? If so; I can add it as a feature request. I think it would make the relationship field a lot more powerful!

Cheers,
    Joost

• Hi @joostvanhoof

Sorry, this is not part of the core, and to add it in would bloat the plugin too much

Cheers
    E

• Hi Elliot,

I understand. Thanks for your help!

Joost

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Query on relationship field fails (performance issue?)’ is closed to new replies.