Support

Account

Home Forums Add-ons Repeater Field Putting jQuery in footer

Solved

Putting jQuery in footer

• I am in the middle of optimising my site for mobile and noticed that when I include the acf-repeater add-on that it puts jquery in the head. I think I found the function that puts it there :

foreach( $scripts as $script )
    		{
    			wp_register_script( $script['handle'], $script['src'], $script['deps'], $this->settings['version'] );
    		}

but it doesn’t have the $in_footer parameter. Can I just put it there or if there a specific reason to have jquery in the document head? Also I would rather not hack the plugin. I don’t suppose there is a function that could override this?

• Hi @mantismamita

Thanks for the feedback. All ACF scripts and styles are included in the head tag, this is just a personal preference.

Your mobile optimization, is this for the front end of the back end?

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,
    It’s for the front end. I’m not too worried about the back end. But it makes a significant difference if I remove the add-ons folder containing acf-gallery and acf-repeater which add jquery and jquery migrate in the head tag.

• Hi @mantismamita

Thanks for the info. For your case, what would be the perfect solution?

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,
    Ideally a function to override it’s position in the header so that the plugin would be intact for any potential updates (unless, of course, you were considering changing it in an update.)

I tried modifying the wp_register_scripts like so :

$scripts = array();
    		$scripts[] = array(
    			'handle' => 'acf-field-group',
    			'src' => $this->settings['dir'] . 'js/field-group.min.js',
    			'deps' => array('jquery'),
    			'in_footer' => true
    		);
    		$scripts[] = array(
    			'handle' => 'acf-input',
    			'src' => $this->settings['dir'] . 'js/input.min.js',
    			'deps' => array('jquery'),
    			'in_footer' => true
    		);
    		$scripts[] = array(
    			'handle' => 'acf-datepicker',
    			'src' => $this->settings['dir'] . 'core/fields/date_picker/jquery.ui.datepicker.js',
    			'deps' => array('jquery', 'acf-input'),
    			'in_footer' => true
    		);

foreach( $scripts as $script )
    		{
    			wp_register_script( $script['handle'], $script['src'], $script['deps'], $this->settings['version'], $script['in_footer']);
    		}

but I can’t find where they are enqueued. And it seems I’m looking in the wrong place as there is no jquery migrate here.

• Hi @mantismamita

ACF does not include any jQuery migrate. It has a dependency for jQuery. Perhaps it is the WP core which is including the jQuery migrate? Or another plugin / theme?

• Hi @elliot,
    Well that explains why I couldn’t find it but it seems to go away when I remove the add-ons folder. Any idea why the above bit of code doesn’t work to put jquery in the footer?

Here is what I’m basing my findings on:

PageSpeed Insights

• Hi @mantismamita

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean by the ‘add-ons’ folder. Can you shine some light on this?

Thanks
    E

• Ah sorry, I meant the acf “add-ons” which I put in a folder thus named:

include_once('add-ons/acf-repeater/acf-repeater.php');
    include_once('add-ons/acf-gallery/acf-gallery.php');

Thanks.

• Hi @mantismamita

Can you comment out 1 of the add-ons? Which one includes the jQuery migrate code?
    What versions of each add-on are you using?

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,
    It turns out that its another plugin that is putting jquery migrate in there. This is turning out to be a bit more complicated than I anticipated.
    I think I am just going to focus my energy on cacheing.

To answer your question the add-ons are fairly recent. I think I bought them in October. Probably not old enough to warrant jquery migrate. I have included them in the theme so I’m a bit hesitant to update them even though I noticed there is an update available.

Thanks so much for your help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Putting jQuery in footer’ is closed to new replies.