I’m making extensive use of clone fields in my latest project. I’m also using the acf-json folder to synchronise the field groups from development environment to staging & production servers.
For some reason, I’m getting situations where the cloned field-groups suddenly “expand” within the containing field group.
For example, I have a field group called “button component” which is used in a field group called “text block”. Normally when editing the “text block” field group, I should see a single clone field called “button component”. However, something is happening at some point which is messing things up so that now when editing the “text block” field group, I am seeing ALL the fields from the “button component” within “text block”.
Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this?
Could it be because I am pushing the use of ACF’s clone fields beyond what they can handle?
In this site I am using clone fields to the extreme, for example, having “component” field groups cloned into “block” field groups which are cloned into “section” field groups which are cloned into a flexible content field.
When the problem occurs, I have been able to fix it by deleting ALL the field groups and then re-syncing them again from the .json files, but this seems to be unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
This might have something to do with the syncing process. After a bit of testing I suspect that if you sync the “component” fields before the “containing” fields, then that causes the problem. If I sync the “containing” fields first, then they seem to work with the clone field in place as intended
I just encountered this very issue as well… We have a page builder (Flexible Content) where each layout loads in a cloned component. A sync was performed (with all syncable fields checked), at which point it seems the page builder was “expanded” into its component fields…
Not all of the fields were correct 🙁 At least one of the components was missing a field (and that field also wasn’t showing on the front-end). This is how we discovered there was an issue.
I noticed the mod date on the JSON of the page builder was way different from what it should have been and I assumed that someone had messed with it in the admin. I pulled a backup from the day before and that JSON file looked correct. I was able to update the timestamp on my local version of the JSON and pushed to the site, performed a sync, and the missing field(s) was restored.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Welcome to the Advanced Custom Fields community forum.
Browse through ideas, snippets of code, questions and answers between fellow ACF users
Helping others is a great way to earn karma, gain badges and help ACF development!
© 2022 Advanced Custom Fields.