Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) post_object and custom taxonomies

Solved

post_object and custom taxonomies

• I’m trying to filter a custom post type post_object (inside a repeater) field by a custom taxonomy. I can’t see any custom taxonomies in the select box. Is the post_object field restricted to the built in “category” taxonomy or am I doing something wrong?

The field is inside a repeater and used within a custom options page. My custom post type and custom taxonomy are registered in the theme’s functions.php file and the taxonomy is assigned to my post type properly.

• Hi @ojrask

The fact that you post_object field is within a repeater should make no difference. Also the location rule should not matter either. You can test this by creating a new post_object field as a root level field in the same field group.

When you edit one of your post_type posts, do you see the correct WP metabox for your taxonomy? Does the Taxonomy appear in the sidebar under your post_type?

Is your taxonomy public?

• Hello,

Yes, the custom taxonomy is visible and usable on each custom post edit page. It can be queried just fine everywhere else on the site.

Could this be a problem with custom capabilities assigned to my custom post type (nothing spectacular, just renames “edit_posts” to “edit_cpts” and so on)?

EDIT:

Read through the core plugin code and noticed this line of code in the function that populates the select choices (get_taxonomies_for_select in acf.php) for the taxonomy filter:

if(!is_taxonomy_hierarchical($taxonomy)) continue;

I have my taxonomy as non-hierarchical and this seems to be the problem. I can’t seem to remember any notice of this on the field’s documentation page?

Luckily my taxonomy will work about the same even if it is not non-hierachical, but will there be an update to allow filtering with these taxonomies too?

• Hi @ojrask

Yes, ACF only allows hierarchical taxonomies to effect the post’s field groups.
    I will consider adding in a filter to add custom taxonomies and even allow tag based taxonomies in the future.

Thanks
    E

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘post_object and custom taxonomies’ is closed to new replies.