Support

Account

Home Forums Gutenberg Post Objects and get_field() in ACF Gutenberg Blocks

Solving

Post Objects and get_field() in ACF Gutenberg Blocks

• jnicol

• June 17, 2019 at 10:37 am

I have noticed a bug/quirk in how the ACF Post Object field type functions inside the render template for an ACF Gutenberg Block.

In short, after running setup_postdata() on a Post Object, the_field() and get_field() do not work as expected.

Here is an example ACF Block render template that demonstrates the problem:

<?php
    $post_object = get_field('my_post_object_field');
    if( $post_object ): 
        global $post; // Need to make sure we overwrite the global Post Object
        $post = $post_object; // override $post

// setup_postdata() works as expected. e.g. the_title() will display 
        // the title of the post referred to by $post_object. 
        setup_postdata($post);

// Normally, setup_postdata() is all that is required to let ACF
        // know the new post ID, so that functions such as the_field() pull
        // data from the correct post. 

// However the_field('my_custom_field') is broken. It tries to pull
        // 'my_custom_field' from the original global $post, when it should
        // be pulling from the post referred to by $post_object.
        the_field('my_custom_field');

// For the_field() to work correctly we have to explicitly pass it
        // the ID of our Post Object:
        the_field('my_custom_field', $post->ID);

endif;
    ?>

Please note that this quirk is specific to ACF’s Gutenberg Blocks. It does not affect ACF meta fields.

I assume that this is a scoping issue. My question: Is there a way to force ACF to recognise that it is supposed to be operating on the global $post, instead of having to explicitly pass it a post ID every time?

• Alternatively you can use

get_the_ID();

To pull the post id, which does work when the post is published, but will not actually pull the Post ID for the preview. I’d love to figure out why or what that work-around is though.

It seems that throughout the Gutenberg Blocks, the ID is changed to the Block ID instead of housing the Post ID.

• Elliot

• July 30, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Hi @jnicol

Thanks for the topic.
    This is an interesting one, and one that I don’t yet have a solution for. Hopefully the following info can help shine some light on the problem.

To allow the ACF template functions such as get_field() to work as expected within the block callback/template, we had to “inject” the block values into the “acf/pre_load_metadata” filter. This filter is run when ACF attempts to load a meta value for any given key/object_id.

This “injecting” behavior is overwriting/preventing your code from reading from the newly “setup postdata”.

I’ll have a think about how we can add compatibility with this function, but am not yet sure on the solution :S

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

We use cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, analyze site traffic and personalize content. Read about how we use cookies and how you can control them in our Cookie Policy. If you continue to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies.