Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Organizing Field Groups

Helping

Organizing Field Groups

• In the WP Admin, under Custom Fields > Field Groups – it would be amazing if I could categorize them into a hierarchical format, for my own organizational purposes.

Currently I am using the titles to help categorize them by reference, For (a very rudimentary, compared to my actual use-case) example:

• Page Template: Home
    • Page Template: Contact
    • Options: Header
    • Options: Footer
    • Post Type: Publication

This system is O.K. but my page of field groups gets really long, plus I don’t love having to choose between the site’s admins Seeing stuff like “Page Template: Home” at the top of the fields vs using the not-very-nice-looking “Seamless” layout.

What I’d love is to be able to create, at my discretion, groups – such as:

• Page Templates
    • Options
    • Custom Post Types

So much so that I would be willing to help author it. Just need to know whether

• you think this would not be a huge undertaking
    • you don’t already have intentions / work in progress to incorporate this into the core plugin
    • it would be feasilbe (or better) to do this via an additional plugin

Thanks!

• This is actually a good idea. I have also wished on sites with many custom field groups for a way to better manage them.

ACF uses the standard post admin pages. This means that you can alter the list of posts to include other columns, for example a category, just like you can alter this list for any other post type.

I don’t see why you could not add a custom taxonomy to the acf-field-group post type. This should add a standard tags or category box to the right side of the page to select a category.

The only thing that I’m not sure about would be sorting and filtering the list of groups by this new group category and you’d need to look into that.

I don’t think any of this is impossible.

I’m not the developer, so I can’t answer the other questions. You might be able to get an answer from the devs by opening a new support ticket here https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/new-ticket/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Organizing Field Groups’ is closed to new replies.