Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Optional thumbnail image for Flexible Content layouts

Solved

Optional thumbnail image for Flexible Content layouts

• Hi,

I’ve been using ACF more and more to allow clients to build their own pages using the Flexible Content fields. It’s fantastic. But I do wish there was a way to include an optional image with each layout module that shows the client what it could/would/might look like. In my head it would work similar to the way you can add instructions for individual fields currently, but it would work at the layout level.

Then in the admin, you’d just need to find a way of displaying the image. Maybe a small thumbnail next to each layout name when you click “Add new row”. Or a static positioned widget in the sidebar, where you could drag the images (representing layouts) into the page.

I realise ACF is probably not intended as a full scale drag and drop page builder (like the Elegant Themes one for eg) but I think this would be a decent halfway house to making it behave like one.

Thanks,
    Xavier

• I’m also looking for a functions like what you describe. It would be so much easier for the customer or user to see what module they are going to include or choose to use.

I don’t think it should be to hard to solve, or what do you guys say? 🙂

• I’ve been doing this for some time in a hacky sort of way. I create tab groups inside of each of my flexible layouts. The first tab is content. Second is options–usually all of the css/js options I make available for the layout. Third is Examples. I usually just take screen shots of the layouts I create then I use a description field to write some html that gives a nice preview of what the layout could be used to create.

I plan to eventually extend this with a “wireframe” capability. I’d love to offer clickable wireframes that would autofill all of the fields with the appropriate options to create the layout the client clicked on. This would require writing a bunch of js to pull default values for these fields and autofill/create fields (especially for repeater fields), but I aspire to do this someday.

It’d be a huge help if Elliot could implement some kind of js “duplicate” functionality for flexible layout fields and repeater fields. I imagine this being a fairly simple build since you’d just be copying all of the data from one set of fields into a new set of fields with the same setup. This would give me the framework I need to plug into to implement the “wireframe” templates I envision.

• Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feature request.

This feature was added in v 5.3.6 and includes a filter to modify the text (HTML) displayed at the top of each flexible content layout. All sub field functions are available within this filter to load and display values. This filter is also run via AJAX when the layout is toggled open or closed.

You can have a look at this here: https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acf-fields-flexible_content-layout_title/

• Fantastic. Thanks for the update

• This is great! Good work! 🙂 Keep up the good work!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Optional thumbnail image for Flexible Content layouts’ is closed to new replies.