Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Newly created fields in an existing field group are not showing in wp-admin.

Solved

Newly created fields in an existing field group are not showing in wp-admin.

• Newly created fields in an existing field group are not showing in wp-admin.

I see that they exist in the database and in the acf fields groups overview. But they are not visible on the custom post type page.This is only the case for a certain cpt, the rest of acf works as expected.

• The usual reason for this happening is that the JSON file for the field group is not being updated when save the field group. Either there is a problem writing to the file or the file is being loaded from somewhere outside of the normal path.

• We had a wrong copy of the json file, that conflicted with the actual file. After deleting the wrong copy and resaving the actual file, my problem was solved. Thanks.

• Hi, This sounds like my problem.
    Can you please provide a step by step on how to fix this?
    If I’m having this problem how/where do I update the JSON file manually, or fix the normal path for loading it. Thank you.

• Hi @dtkslc,
    In my case there were conflicting json files, 2 files for the same field group. I deleted both & saved my field group. Then the problem was solved. (Don’t forget to backup everything if you try this)

• Normally you have to create an acf-json folder inside your theme folder. There are the json files located.

• It is possible to get conflicting json files.

How this can happen is that an acf-json folder is added to the current theme and there is another load location added using the acf/settings/load_json filter. If a field group is synced from this other location the new version of the group will be saved to the theme folder. However, if the other load location is loaded first then the file there, that is not updated, will be the field group you see when editing pages.

Some theme and plugin developers do this to ensure that only the version of the field group they have provided can be used. In these cases that developer should have set the json files to private so that they cannot be synced. It really is not a good idea to modify acf json files provided from some other source.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.