Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Migration from v.3 to v.4

Solved

Migration from v.3 to v.4

• Hello, Everyone,

I’m in a bit of trouble. I am coming back to work on a WordPress site I built a couple of years ago and without thinking updated all plugins at once, not knowing that v.4 of ACF was such a departure.

The fields I set up stopped working, of course. I see them in the database, but they do not show up in the admin back-end. I tried to revert back to an older version of 3 but couldn’t remember which one I had installed, and everything seems to still be missing from the admin.

The page that offers a tutorial for the migration now just links to the advancedcustomfields.com home-page. Can any kind soul send me to a copy of the tutorial, at least, or help me figure out how to set things straight?

Many thanks in advance, Matt

• Hi @matthewbivins

You can find documentation here:
    http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/getting-started/migrating-from-v3-to-v4/

All you need to do, is download the premium add-ons from your ACF online account and install them as WP plugins.

Did you install any other 3rd party field types?

• Thanks, Elliot-

The link above wasn’t as clear as I was expecting, but with the help of others on the forum I was led to downloading the plugins, and while I did still lose my database completely I was able to get going again.

For those in a similar situation: it’s actually a lot better if you find yourself accidentally upgraded to v.4 to NOT try and downgrade. This is possibly what killed my site and custom fields. Elliot is right: on the surface, not much has changed, and most of old code is still supported in v.4 (the use of the repeater field in templates, for example).

If I had taken a breath and found that the only thing necessary to make the new version work is install the add-ons as separate plugins, I would have probably been fine. Don’t do what I did!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Migration from v.3 to v.4’ is closed to new replies.