Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Message field type – Field Label marked as required but it's not, and inline CSS

Solving

Message field type – Field Label marked as required but it's not, and inline CSS

• The Message field type is very useful for me, whether it’s a header or just some instructional copy that’s not related to any particular field. I’m currently using it to add headers when tabs are overkill.

First suggestion, when creating a Message field, the Field Label box has a red asterisk (Field Label *) next to it, indicating it’s required. The problem is the Field Label is NOT required and it took me forever to figure that out. If you leave the label blank and only enter the message text, it saves and displays just fine. Since the Field Label input is not required, the red asterisk should be removed.

Next, when I use inline HTML/CSS, it renders this CSS in the field list in the admin area, so depending on what the CSS is it can completely break the field list. I think stripping out HTML when it’s displayed in the field listing would be much better.

• The first item might be a bug and should be reported here https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/new-ticket/

As for the second, many people put HTML in there (me included) to format the message in a specific way. Like any field that accepts HTML, being a developer, you should make sure your HTML is valid and correct.

• I think you misunderstood the second part. When you put HTML into the Field Label box, this HTML gets rendered in the field listing of the Field Group. For example, if for the Field Label I put:

<span style="display: block; font-size: 26px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.3em; color: #ccc; padding-bottom: 20px; border-bottom: 1px solid #333;">My Custom Header</span>

Then in the Field Group, it will display like this:

What I’m saying is that it should strip all HTML and CSS only in the field listing for the field group. Obviously on whichever page or post this field group is assigned to the HTML would render normally.

• ah, I thought you meant the message itself. Yeah, I’ve seen that happen when I add HTML to the label. I usually just ignore that since it’s in the admin for the field group and I’m the only one that’s going to see it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Message field type – Field Label marked as required but it's not, and inline CSS’ is closed to new replies.