Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Map field – ability to change a default map type

Solving

Map field – ability to change a default map type

• It’s possible to toggle between the terrain and the roadmap, but the roadmap is set as a default view. Could you add a toggle to set the terrain map as a default?

PS
    I know I can change it in JS, via google maps API, but it would be nice if it was configurable in the plugins options.

Thanks.

• @wube I think offering a place to put JSON overrides would be great.

Have you got any examples?

• Hi @wube

Could you please open a new ticket for a feature request? This will make sure that the request is passed directly to the plugin author. You can open a new ticket here: https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/new-ticket.

Thanks 🙂

• @nml

There’s an acf.fields.google_map.maps object. It holds the references to the google maps objects. To change a map type for a single field you have to find the field’s key. So let’s assume that the key is acf-field_56d8b333cb295-57371867cb2db.

So to change the map type simply execute:
    acf.fields.google_map.maps['acf-field_56d8b333cb295-57371867cb2db'].setMapTypeId(google.maps.MapTypeId.TERRAIN)

You can replace the TERRAIN with: ROADMAP, SATELLITE or HYBRID.

PS
    I don’t where does the key name come from. 56d8b333cb295 is a field key. But I have no idea what does the second part (57371867cb2db) stand for.

<b>// EDIT:</b>

I forgot to say about one important detail. You have to run this code after the google maps API is initialized. As far I know there’s no public hook, so the only way is to run this code inside setIntervalI() and check acf.fields.google_map.status value is ready;

Example:

acf.add_action('load', function () {

var googleMap = acf.fields.google_map;

var interval = setInterval(function () {

if (googleMap.status !== 'ready') {
                return;
            }

clearInterval(interval);

// Set all the google maps type to HYBRID
            $.each(googleMap.maps, (keyName, map) => {
                map.setMapTypeId(google.maps.MapTypeId.HYBRID);
            });

}, 100);

});

PS
    @eliot
    I hope you read this topic. I have an idea how to improve the core code a bit. It would be great if acf.fields.google_map.status wasn’t just a regular field. IMO it would be much better if it returned a promise (an instance of $.Deferred()) object.

It’s a much cleaner solution. setInterval() wouldn’t be required then.

Let’s assume that there’s a method like acf.fields.google_map.loadingGoogleMap(). It returns a promise. Consider the following pseudo-implementation:

acf.fields.google_map.loadingGoogleMap = function () {

var deferred = $.Deferred();

$.getScript('http://google.maps.url.js')
            .done(function () {

// Google map initialization code goes here...

deferred.resolve(); 

})
            .fail(function () {
                deferred.reject();
            });

return deferred;

};

And here’s the modified initial code. Now setInterval() is not required.

acf.add_action('load', function () {

var googleMap = acf.fields.google_map;

// This code runs when the 'acf.fields.google_map.loadingGoogleMap' promise is resolved
        acf.fields.google_map.loadingGoogleMap.done(function () {

// Set all the google maps type to HYBRID
            $.each(googleMap.maps, (keyName, map) => {
                map.setMapTypeId(google.maps.MapTypeId.HYBRID);
            });

});

});

Simple. Isn’t it?

PPS:
    Yes. I know, the promise should be resolved in the google maps callback function, not in the $.getScript().done() callback. This is why I called it pseudo-implementation 🙂

• With a nudge in the right direction from ACF support, I was able to achieve exactly what I wanted, namely removing some controls from my acf_form front-end Google Map inputs, via the ‘new’ JavaScript API’s google_map_args filter found at https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/javascript-api/#filters-google_map_args

acf.add_filter('google_map_args', function( args, field ){

args[ 'mapTypeControl' ] = false;
    	args[ 'streetViewControl' ] = false;
    	args[ 'fullscreenControl' ] = false;

return args;
    })
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Map field – ability to change a default map type’ is closed to new replies.