Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) Losing lots of data on save.

Solved

Losing lots of data on save.

• Hello,

I am having an issue I have not encountered before.

I have a field which right now, it’s type its “textarea”. I need to switch it to a field type WYSIWYG. I have done this countless times before and had no issues. However after changing the field type and saving the settings, I noticed that a whole lot of content data was missing. Not only from the fields I changed but from other fields in that ACF Group.

I usually keep a back up of my websites before I make any backend updates. So I restored it back to the original state. And tried making those changes again… once again I lost a lot of data.

I don’t believe the issue is necessarily with changing the field type, but saving the custom field group. It’s a large group, and for some reason a lot of the fields are not being saved, instead are being removed on save.. as if the save function could not process them.

I increased the php memory, but that didn’t help. I am taking a look at the logs now, but I am wondering if you can tell me things I can check for to solve this issue. I expect time out issues to happen if I was using bluehost or godaddy, but I am on a VPS – I have a lot more resources to use.

• I’ve upgraded the memory_limit to 256M both in php.ini and config.php. i have no errors logged.

######## UPDATE ##########

I decided to run a test.

1. I got a new WP installation up.
    2. Used WP default theme
    3. Installed ACF only (no add-ons)
    4. Added new field group
    5. Started adding field by field. Field1 / Update – Field2 / Update and so on…

After I reached Field57 no more fields can be saved. Not only the fields, but any settings below that last field. “Locations” (if statements) and “Options” (hide/show metabox) won’t save.

If I remove one field. I am able to save the options and I am able to add another field.

I have a VPS. So I set it up to have 256M of memory_limit. I also set WP to have the following:

define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’);
    define(‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’);

I read in the codex that WP_MEMORY_LIMIT only works on the front-end and that WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT is for the backend.

I also checked error logs in the public_html folder and in the theme folder. There are no errors.

ACF is the only plugin installed.
    There are no pages/posts or extra amount of content that could slow down the page on save.

The ACF field page itself, throws no errors. It does not take long to load once you click on “Update”.

While trying to trouble shoot the issue. I also noticed that there’s a glitch with the “update” button and WP 3.8. The button is initially red (theme color), but once the page has loaded the button goes back to “blue” which was the original color before WP 3.8.

I am on iOS Mavericks 10.9.1
    I tried adding more fields using the latest versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome. My primary browser is Chrome.

##########UPDATE############

I downgraded the plugin to version 4.1.0
    I was able to add 17 more fields. So I am now on Field74. After adding field 74, I run in to the same issue again.

I am still running more test.

• After much research and much reading… I found the answer via another post on this website. I had to increase my php settings to allow more variables to be inputed.

max_input_vars = 3000
    suhosin.post.max_vars = 3000
    suhosin.request.max_vars = 3000

The post with the answer:

http://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/search/?bbp_search=max_input_vars+%3D+3000

Eliot, I know this issue is not related to your plugin, but just a php setting. However since it seems like a few people have already experienced the same issue, maybe you could have common solutions as this one placed somewhere easy to find in your support forum.

• Wow, good stuff. Thanks for figuring it out @daniel@push10.com

Favorited for recall!

• Hi @daniel@push10.com

I was just thinking that exact thing!
    Great work helping out and finding this very clear answer,

Cheers
    E

• I just had this error. Basically the last save I did meant that around 10 hand-crafted field definitions just got converted into “text” fields. I AM NOT AMUSED!

Can’t ACF at least monitor the settings that are causing this and warn before losing data?

Is there no way to revert to the previous state of the field definitions?

It is really most tedious and I am not looking forward to the pain of getting it working again. On top of that, I need to have the changes done by my ISP which is a whole business involving help desks and the like!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Losing lots of data on save.’ is closed to new replies.