Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Link to Google Map marker from outside of map

Solving

Link to Google Map marker from outside of map

• I have a map full of markers and I have a separate unordered list, listing those markers. I’m trying to make the two elements talk with eachother.

When I click a link in my list, I want it to centre the map and open the info window of that marker on the map.

How can I do this?

I have a demo site setup: http://79.170.40.181/cranes.co.uk/stockists/ Just view source to see the script I’ve taken (unedited) from the Google Maps Docs pages here on the ACF site.

I just don’t know how to do this any help would be great.

This is my list of links:

<ul id="listdata"
       <li><a href="#" class="clickaway">Location 1</a></li>
       <li><a href="#" class="clickaway">Location 2</a></li>
    </ul>

Here’s the code I thought would work but doesn’t:

var name = $('#listdata').find('.clickaway');

google.maps.event.addDomListener(name, 'click', function() {
        infowindow.open(map,marker);
        alert('found me');
    });
  • Looking for some help on this as well – I’m not having any luck so far. OP, if you were able to find a a method, could you post it up?

• bumping this again – anyone having any luck?

• I actually did that here: http://energycoalition.org/energy-architects-in-action/

in the add_marker portion I updated it to this:

/*
    	*  add_marker
    	*/

function add_marker( $marker, map ) {

// var
    		var latlng = new google.maps.LatLng( $marker.attr('data-lat'), $marker.attr('data-lng') );

// create marker
    		var marker = new google.maps.Marker({
    			position	: latlng,
    			map			: map,
    			icon: '...'
    		});

// add to array
    		map.markers.push( marker );

// if marker contains HTML, add it to an infoWindow
    		if( $marker.html() )
    		{
    			// create info window

liTag=$("body ul.utilities").find("[data-lat='" + $marker.attr('data-lat') + "']");
    			 // console.log(liTag);
    			// show info window when marker is clicked
    			$(liTag).click(function() {
    				infowindow.setContent($marker.html());
    				infowindow.open(map, marker);
    			});

google.maps.event.addListener(marker, 'click', function() {
    				infowindow.setContent($marker.html());
    				infowindow.open(map, marker);
    			});

// close info window when map is clicked
    		     google.maps.event.addListener(map, 'click', function(event) {
    		        if (infowindow) {
    		            infowindow.close(); }
    				}); 

}

}

I use to separate loops, one to output the list items, and one for the map. In the list items I add the latitude to the LI itself

• wonderful – thanks so much for the input, i’m gonna give this a shot and report back. Appreciate the help.

• THIS! EXACTLY THIS! Thank you @rorymheaney! I was looking for this answer for like 18 hours yesterday. You are a lifesaver! Nice website by the way. I love the way you implemented all of your maps. You did that all with ACF?

• @uptownbrent thanks! Yes that section is all acf. Its a repeater on their site, 4 repeaters, 4 maps.

It could be done with 1 repeater technically/post type and you use options to toggle markers and update map styling. That’s how I would do it now with what I know now.

I have other examples of ‘search’ etc, can be done with acf and getting into google maps.

• likewise much thanks – i never reported back, it worked great, my results are here: http://www.richarderdman.com/collections-map/

• Hello,
    This is now an old thread but it is just what I need – that is if I can get it to work.

My problem is that I just cant get the links in the list to trigger the infowindow popup.

Any chance you can provide a few more details on how to get this to work?

For example, you mentioned that you “… In the list items I add the latitude to the LI itself”

What do you mean by that?

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Link to Google Map marker from outside of map’ is closed to new replies.