Support

Account

Home Forums Add-ons Repeater Field Link to External URLs?

Solved

Link to External URLs?

• Hi…Im trying to set up the code so that the_field can link to an external url page.

For example, I created a field to put the name of the photographer of any feature image that I use within posts….So, i’m required to give them a link back to their URL.

This is the code I currently have to display this:

<p class="image_photographer">Image Courtesy of: <?php the_field('image_photographer'); ?></p>

I have linked to post pages before, but…im not sure how to get this to work for external page urls….also, I would need to make it redirect in popup window…so, it doesn’t take the visitor away from my site.

Can you please help…i would appreciate it! 🙂

Thanks!

• Hi @WPDragon

In HTML, a link is created via the <a> tag. You need to use it like this:

<a href="<?php the_field('image_photographer'); ?>" target="_blank">Click here</a>

• Hi @WPDragon

You have tagged this thread with repeater. Is this a sub field? Please specify this in the future.

if so, you need to use the the_sub_field instead of ‘the_field’

Thanks
    E

• Hi @elliot,

Thanks for the reply!….Actually, that was my fault – the photographer name doesnt use the repeater…Thanks for noticing that.

Also, I think i need to clarify regarding the URL…I’m actually trying to have the name of the Photographer be a hyperlink to a specified url…Each post may have a different photographer….so, I may have something backwards in how I setup my field and code.

Currently, in the admin for the post – I have the field to type the name of the photographer, but I assume I also need the option to include a URL associated the name.

The field type that I am currently using is “Text”.

Below is an example of the code I am using now, which does make the Photographers name clickable – but, now how do I associate a specific URL?

I left a gap in the code on purpose, coz I assume that is where I fill in the missing code…right?

<p class="image_photographer">Image Courtesy of: <a href="[URL FIELD CODE GOES HERE]; ?>" target="_blank"><?php the_field('image_photographer'); ?></a>

Hopefully, you can see what I did wrong there, and what im trying to do

Thanks!

• Hi @WPDragon

something like this

<p class="image_photographer">Image courtesy of: <a href="<?php the_field('photographer_url')?>"> <?php the_field('image_photographer') ?> </a></p>

where “photographer_url” is a text field

Cheers

• Awesome..it Works!

Thank you.

• Hi @elliot — This was solved, but just had one quick question related to this…The code above is working perfectly, but I noticed if I put the Photographers Name, without a URL — the Photographers Name will still be a hyperlink & it will reopen the same post page its on…Is there a way, that if I do not include a URL, that it will only display the Photographer name as plain text, and not as a hyperlink?

Hope that makes sense. thanks.

• Hi @WPDragon

This is called a conditional statement:

<?php 

$url = get_field('photographer_url');

?>
    <p class="image_photographer">Image courtesy of: <?php if( $url ): ?><a href="<?php echo $url; ?>"><?php endif; ?> <?php the_field('image_photographer') ?> <?php if( $url ): ?></a><?php endif; ?></p>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Link to External URLs?’ is closed to new replies.