Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Limit on amount of data in text field?

Solved

Limit on amount of data in text field?

• Hi,
    using no more than 10 custom fields, most are simply a URL to generate data for an iframe in report, or title of project.

However, one data text box I need to paste in about 2,000 lines of text for a clip report, which amounts to a title, URL, date, category note.

Trying to paste this in as either a simple text area box, or WSYIWG box, I get a 406 error trying to preview or view page. Basically it’s not allowing that much content.

Not sure what to change. 1GB RAM for pHP, dedicated 12-core server, blah blah. Not a horsepower issue; seems like a “data limit” on the field ?

Any tips on how to increase this would be appreciated.

THANKS.

• Both usermeta.meta_value and postmeta.meta_value are stored as LONGTEXT. Here’s how the MySQL docs describe the size of a LONGTEXT data type:

“A TEXT column with a maximum length of 4,294,967,295 or 4GB (232 – 1) characters. The effective maximum length is less if the value contains multi-byte characters. The effective maximum length of LONGTEXT columns also depends on the configured maximum packet size in the client/server protocol and available memory.

HOWEVER, ACF fields are stored by passing these values by $_POST to the server, so you might be getting hit on PHP’s post_max_size limit. This can be updated in a few different places:

php.ini:

post_max_size=20M
    upload_max_filesize=20M

.htaccess:

php_value post_max_size 20M
    php_value upload_max_filesize 20M

It might be worth trying some larger values on those variables and testing submissions of different lengths.

• Thanks so much. That is super helpful, as I’m trying to determine if it’s THAT issue or related to mod_security not liking some of the elements I’m pasting in since they are 30% URLs. Since we have our own server, easy to change stuff and many can be changed now from the Plesk/Parallels admin panel without having to do command line/shell stuff.

• okay, looks like we’d already set max post to 32M, and upload max to 16M “server wide” for our system on general principal (new system deployed Jan 1 2014).

I am seeing now it’s likely a “206” error, which is a mod_security issue and completely unrelated to “how big is the paste in data.” (d’oh!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Limit on amount of data in text field?’ is closed to new replies.