Support

Account

Home Forums Backend Issues (wp-admin) jQuery selector not working when trying to interact with an ACF field admin

Solved

jQuery selector not working when trying to interact with an ACF field admin

• I’m having an issue with some custom jQuery that I’ve written to interact with an ACF field. I have a Relationship/Taxonomy field that lists all available taxonomies with checkboxes. The taxonomy is hierarchical, but only 2 levels deep. It just looks like this:

Parent Term 1
    --- Child Term 1
    --- Child Term 2
    Parent Term 2
    --- Child Term 3
    --- Child Term 4

I’m trying to add jQuery that will check all child terms when a parent term is selected, and uncheck child terms when a parent term is unselected. For example, if someone were to check Parent Term 1, it would check both Child Term 1 and Child Term 2 automatically.

The jQuery that I’ve written for this works in a standalone environment. If I copy/paste the generated checkbox/ul structure into a standalone HTML file, my jQuery will work as I described. But when I include the jQuery with add_action(‘acf/input/admin_head, ‘my_jquery_function), the selector never fires. The function definitely executes – if I put an alert in there, it shows up when I visit the post editor. But the jQuery selector never seems to apply to checkbox elements.

Below is the code I am using. Here is a jsFiddle of the code applied against the generated checkbox code to show that the selector should work: http://jsfiddle.net/Lh8e6/1/

Does anyone have any experience with trying to get jQuery to interact with an ACF filed at all? Is there some trick I’m missing?

/**
     * Add jQuery to check/uncheck child answers when a parent question is checked
     * or unchecked
     */
    function check_children_answers() {
    	?>
    	<script type="text/javascript">
    		(function($) {
    			$('ul.categorychecklist > li > label > :checkbox').click(function() {
        			$(this).parent().parent().children('ul.children').children('li').children('label').children(':checkbox').attr('checked', this.checked);
    			});
            	})(jQuery);	
    	</script>
    	<?php
    }
    add_action('acf/input/admin_head', 'check_children_answers');
  • Well, I feel a bit like an idiot, but for anyone else having this issue… The problem is that WP’s admin side runs jQuery in no-conflict mode – meaning you can’t use $ to access jQuery (amoungst other things).

My updated JS to affect the checkboxes looks like this:

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
    	// Check and uncheck children when parent is clicked
    	jQuery('ul.categorychecklist > li > label > :checkbox').change(function() {
    		jQuery(this).parent().parent().children('ul.children').children('li').children('label').children(':checkbox').attr('checked', this.checked);
    	});
    });

Using jQuery instead of the already reserved $ selector fixes the problem, and allows the code to run properly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘jQuery selector not working when trying to interact with an ACF field admin’ is closed to new replies.