Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Issue with update_field

Solved

Issue with update_field

• Firstly I just wanted to thank you for creating such a fantastic plugin.

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of this issue for hours now but I’m having to admit defeat.

Basically I’m having a issue with update_field I have a custom taxonomy (created through the CRT UI plugin) called company. Then via ACF I’ve created a custom field called average_review_score. What I’m trying to do is update this field through a fuction that used a mysql query to give me the average. I can get the data I need and I can appear to update the field. However in wp-admin when I view the custom taxonomy it is still showing the old value. I know I must be missing something but cannot figure what. This is my dummy code that I’ve been testing with:

$field_key = "average_review_score";
    $value = "8";
    $post_id = "3";

$get_av = get_field( "average_review_score", $post_id );
    echo $get_av;
    update_field( $field_key, $value, $post_id );

If I echo $get_av I get the result I’ve set in $value.

Am I missing something?

• First, you’re using $value whenever you update the field, so it will always be 8 from the code you have here. Second, you say that you have a custom taxonomy and you’ve put the field on the taxonomy, but you’re not using a $post_id that is for a custom taxonomy. Overall, the explanation of what you’re doing isn’t very clear. Can you give more information about what you’re trying to do?

• Sorry I was trying to keep the code simple to post on here. Yes, sorry I understand that the $value will always be 8. This value eventually be drawn from a mysql query so will show between 1 – 10 depending on the result.

What I have is a custom taxonomy field which I wanted to store the average review score of all the customer reviews related to that taxonomy. So for example if the company’s average score was 8 then it would update my average_review_score field. I can then draw on this value for other parts of the site. This will be updated whenever I call a function that I have written.

In the function it draws the data via a mysql query. From what I understand I then need to use update_field( $field_key, $value, $post_id ); to update the field. This appears to work because if I execute the following code

echo $get_av;

it has changed the value to whatever I enter.

However when I view the Edit Tag in wp-admin its still showing the old value that I originally entered:

screen

I must admit I might have totally misunderstood what I can and cannot do when updating the field. But I basically want to update the value, both in the frontend and backend of the site.

Hopefully this makes it a little clearer as to what I’m trying to accomplish.

• Looking at your original code, see my comments in the code

$field_key = "average_review_score";
    $value = "8";
    $post_id = "3";

echo $get_av;

// this is updating the post with an ID of 3
    // it is not updating a term in a taxonomy
    update_field( $field_key, $value, $post_id );

If your intent is to update a field that is attached to a term in a taxonomy then you need to use a $post_id that represents that term. See “Getting values from other places” on this page https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/get_field/

• Thank you John. I hadn’t realised that it was updating to a post and not the taxonomy. Thank you for all your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Issue with update_field’ is closed to new replies.