Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues How to query select dropdown menu to build a search engine

Solved

How to query select dropdown menu to build a search engine

• Hey Elliot. I need to create a Query based on a dropdown menu that sets a var equal to the selected option.

I’ve used this example of yours below and it has worked for a simple example of another Custom Post Type I have but in the case of the “Search Engine” I need to create, the user will select two dropdown menus and once these are set and the search button clicked, the Query needs to run.

Problem I am having is that the meta_value looks like this in the database:
    a:1:{i:0;s:9:”Merlot”;}

How do I access the “Merlot” in this, what I assume is an array?

<?php 

// args
    $args = array(
    	'numberposts' => -1,
    	'post_type' => 'wines',
    	'meta_key' => 'type',
    	'meta_value' => $wine //this needs to be Merlot from the dropdown menu
    );

// get results
    $the_query = new WP_Query( $args );

// The Loop
    ?>
    <?php if( $the_query->have_posts() ): ?>
    	<ul>
    	<?php while ( $the_query->have_posts() ) : $the_query->the_post(); ?>
    		<li>
    			<a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a>
    		</li>
    	<?php endwhile; ?>
    	</ul>
    <?php endif; ?>

<?php wp_reset_query();  // Restore global post data stomped by the_post(). ?>

Many thanks.

• Hi @sixfootjames

Is the drop down box an ACF selection?

If so, the currently selected element can be accessed by using

$wine = get_field('name-of-drop-down-box');
    before defining $args

Cheers

• Hi Elliot. Thanks for this.

I realise my next question is not related to this one but, let me take a step back and first ask, how do I generate the select html tag based on the ACF selection I have created?

Based on all my findings, I will document all the results in this post on How to create a search engine using Advanced Custom Fields in the hope that it might help someone else understand this.

Cheers

• Hi @sixfootjames,

Just so you know. This is not Elliot, we are here to help him with his super popular plugin. 🙂

I would consider doing this using jQuery and AJAX. You could use ACF to generate your original select and a blank select.

And then write some generic PHP to accept an AJAX request with the selection and then return a data set to populate the second select.

IMO, this would make for a better UX.

• I misunderstood the post below and still in need of some help with this please.

Thanks guys. I managed to get a little further with this from this great article I found about dynamically populating select field’s choice in Advanced Custom Fields

• Hi @sixfootjames

To respond to your original question, to query a value which is saved as an array, you will need to perform a LIKE compare. You can read about this here:
    http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/field-types/checkbox/

For a good understanding of how to create a front end search engine, try this:
    http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/tutorials/creating-wp-archive-custom-field-filter/

Thanks
    E

• Good man, thanks so much Elliot. It helps when you use the right search terms. I would never have thought to use Archive as a “Search Engine” term when I normally google something like

http://site:advancedcustomfields.com search engine

Thanks for this much appreciate!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How to query select dropdown menu to build a search engine’ is closed to new replies.