Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues How to display a Taxonomy content instead of ID?

Solved

How to display a Taxonomy content instead of ID?

• Hello! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am new to ACF and trying to create my first website using it.

I am trying to learn how to do something and I can’t figure it out. I was hoping someone can help me understand how can I do it (I hope it’s an easy one as I am a beginner coding).

In ACF if have a field that pulls categories from a CPT with a select field.

When I try to display this field in my page, it’s displaying the category ID instead of the content of that category (the category name). I imagine that this happens because this field in ACF is only saving the category ID and not the content of the category itself.

How can I pull the category content instead of the ID?

My fields are:

CPT = Insects (all_insects)
    Custom Field = Family (insect_family)
    Taxonomy = Insect Families (category_insect_family)

Thank you very much!

• You can configure the return value of the field to give you the Taxonomy (category) object instead of the ID.

• Thank you Mark.

Unfortunately I am a beginner coding and I am not sure what you mean exactly. Could you please expand a little bit? Is there any documentation you can point me to, or code example I can try to analyse to see if I can reproduce what you are suggesting?

Thank you for trying to help me ๐Ÿ™‚

• @nano09 Take a look at the โ€œReturn Valueโ€ field in the Taxonomy field configuration. https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/taxonomy/ It allows you to choose whether you want the Term ID or the Term Object in your code.

• Oh yes, I see what you mean now. Yes, it is still not working. It is not retrieving the value regardless of what option I choose there. It shows blank.

Maybe it is because only the ID for the category is stored in the post and the value in the category?

• I’ll try again and will let you know. Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Yes, unfortunately nothing is showing. I’m using a page builder and inserting a code block where I input:

<?php 

$term = get_field('category_insect_family');

if( $term ): ?>

<h2><?php echo $term->name; ?></h2>
    	<p><?php echo $term->description; ?></p>

<?php endif; ?>

Result is blank with any option (ID or Object) for Custom Field = Family (insect_family).

If I change:

$term = the_field('insect_family');

I get the category ID value – if field is setup to return ID. When I change it to object this goes blank again.

Any hints?

• When you change the return type, you may need to save the Post/Page again. Have you tried passing the Post/Page ID to the get_field function as the second parameter?

Also: your two examples aren’t referencing the same field category_insect_family. Is the field called category_insect_family or insect_family? Make sure you use the correct field key.

• It worked as you suggested Mark ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks so much for your help!

• Hello Mark,

Any chance you can look at my other post https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/gallery-field-query-filtering-by-taxonomies/

And /or a support ticket I sent for the same issue.

Thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How to display a Taxonomy content instead of ID?’ is closed to new replies.