Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues How to create a search engine using Advanced Custom Fields

Solving

How to create a search engine using Advanced Custom Fields

• I’m wondering if a tutorial could be written about how one can combine all the documentation to show us how to create a custom search engine using Advanced Custom Fields please?

Although I find the documentation extremely helpful, and I am most certainly grateful for it, I find it lacks “layman’s terms”. I realise that this is greatly due to my own lack of experience with WordPress, the jargon and being new to ACF but it would really help if more practical examples existed.

Perhaps if a trusted few were able to access the documentation as a wiki then more examples could be added?

In this example, I am trying to create a search engine that will query the Custom Fields based on either a dropdown menu selection or an input field that is populated.

Perhaps if I document this post of my own findings it can be used as a How To?

• My goal here is to create a form that:

1. Generates a dropdown menu from the select options I have created in ACF
    2. Generate an input field where someone can do a search if the dropdown select option is not what they want to use
    3. Generate a submit button that will query the database.
    4. Set up the Query to accept the input variables from the dropdown list and input field
    5. Upon submit, the Query is run and returns the results I am after

My logic would tell me that the first thing I need to do is create a front end form that will dynamically create a dropdown menu as well as an input field so this is where I begin.

How to create a front end form That documentation is how to create a form to “allow you to create a front end form to edit a page / post.”

• This wordpress plugin will do the trick I thing

FacetWP

• If someone is looking for a solution to this problem is to recommend the plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/acf-better-search/

This plugin adds to default WordPress search engine the ability to search by content from selected fields of Advanced Custom Fields plugin.

Everything works automatically, no need to add any additional code.

• mateuszgbiorczyk

your plugin only search one field at a time.
    and its not supporting all types of fields.

are you planning a new update for it ?.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to create a search engine using Advanced Custom Fields’ is closed to new replies.