Support

Account

Home Forums Front-end Issues Get field on index outside loop

Solved

Get field on index outside loop

• Hello! First of all, sorry me for my bad English but isn’t my native language. I’m having a problem with a field not showing up on index.php of my site. I’ve a group of fields applied to post_tag taxonomy, and want to show the field av_slider (the URL of a image field) on index.php outside the loop.

The code I’ve right now is:

<?php $tags = get_tags(array(
    'number'=> 3,
    'orderby'=> 'count', 
    'order'=> 'ASC',));
    $html = "<ul class='av-grid'>";
    foreach ( $tags as $tag ) {
        $tag_link = get_tag_link( $tag->term_id );

$html .= "<li style='background: url(". the_field('av_slider', $tag->term_id) .") no-repeat center; background-size: cover;'><a href='{$tag_link}' title='{$tag->name}'><div class='av-grid-title'>";
        $html .= "{$tag->name}</div><span class='av-grid-icon av-icon-eye'></span></a></li>";
    }
    $html .= "</ul>";
    echo $html; ?>

The problem is the_field(av_slider) is blank and can’t get it to display the image url.

Thanks a lot in advance! 🙂

• 
    the_field('av_slider', $tag->term_id)

should be

the_field('av_slider', $tag)

OR

the_field('av_slider', 'term_'.$tag->term_id)

https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/adding-fields-taxonomy-term/

• Awesome, thank you very much! It solved the problem and now can see the URL of image, but it renders outside background: url() tag.

On the front-end the URL appears before “ul” element. Don’t know why. :/

• You want to use get_field() for the way that your using it. the_field() echos the value and get_field() returns the value which is what you want if you’re going to manipulate the value.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.