Home Forums General Issues Future of ACF

Solving

Future of ACF

• Hello,

how certain can I be that ACF will continue to exist in the next years and
    there will be updates in the future?

Best
    P.

• Here, in Italy, we are usually to say: “Di sicuro, c’รจ solo la morte”.

• As a professional web development agency which cares a lot for its customers , we can’t be guided by an italian saying ๐Ÿ™‚ Is there a kind of SLA for ACF?

Best.
    P.

• I’m also worried a little about the future of ACF. The development has slowed down lately, and as the code base is getting bigger also the number of bugs is increasing. In the earlier stage of the development, the ACF plugin was almost bug-free, now it’s not so perfect.

And I’m afraid that it will not change because ACF has no unit tests, so even if the programmer is a talented guy (and I’m sure that Eliot is) and even if he tries hard to write the code as good as he can (and the code is really clean and well organised) as the codebase is growing the number of bugs will grow too.

An another problem with ACF is the lack of modularity on the admin panel side (here’s a post where I write more on this topic: https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/does-acf-have-a-js-api/)

When ACF was released, back in the past, it was the first class solution. It was way better than any custom fields plugin. But I’m afraid that we can have a new leader. Carbon Fields is very promising. It has almost everything that ACF has and more, for example, the feature that I’ve mentioned before: modularity and unit test

• I’m not worried at all. I just wanted to know how the future development of ACF is planned and if we can depend on it.

Best
    P.

• I’m not worried myself either. But then I also subscribe to something similar to @encodia … all things are impermanent.

Elliot has recently hired another developer, as you can imagine he’s pretty particular about the way things are coded, which is why until recently he’s done all the work himself. He is, as far as I know, working diligently to get a free version of ACF5 launched on WP.

Yes, there are a few issues, the clone field is still not perfect, there can be some bugs, but I find that these bugs are few compared to many other plugins I’ve used.

I don’t really see ACF going anywhere unless WP builds in a custom field interface that is as easy to use as ACF.

• I’m not worried myself either. But then I also subscribe to something similar to @encodia … all things are impermanent.

Elliot has recently hired another developer, as you can imagine he’s pretty particular about the way things are coded, which is why until recently he’s done all the work himself. He is, as far as I know, working diligently to get a free version of ACF5 launched on WP.

Yes, there are a few issues, the clone field is still not perfect, there can be some bugs, but I find that these bugs are few compared to many other plugins I’ve used.

I don’t really see ACF going anywhere unless WP builds in a custom field interface that is as easy to use as ACF.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Future of ACF’ is closed to new replies.