Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues From relationship items, pull meta values?

Solved

From relationship items, pull meta values?

• Hello-
    Your help is much appreciated.

Here’s the setup:

Page “Articles” has relationship field “select_articles” that allows for items to be pulled from posts in custom post type “library.” This custom post type has items that allow for a text field “library_citation”.

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

On page “Articles” with items selected in “select_articles” relationship field, show the “library_citation” entry for each “select_articles” entry.

I’ve searched through the forums for somewhat similar requests and I’ve tried some things without luck.

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi there!

I’m presuming each citation is it’s own post? If so, the following should work.

$posts = get_field('select_articles');

if( $posts ): 

foreach( $posts as $post): // variable must be called $post (IMPORTANT) 
            setup_postdata($post);

the_title();
    	the_content(); //print and format how and what you want from the citation post

endforeach;

wp_reset_postdata(); // IMPORTANT - reset the $post object so the rest of the page works correctly
    endif;

Adapted from http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/field-types/relationship/

Let me know how you get on 🙂

• Hi @thecorkboard

Adding to the above, you can then load the selected post’s metadata like so:

<?php 

$posts = get_field('select_articles');

if( $posts ): 

foreach( $posts as $post): // variable must be called $post (IMPORTANT) 

setup_postdata($post);

$value = get_field('library_citation');

endforeach;

wp_reset_postdata(); // IMPORTANT - reset the $post object so the rest of the page works correctly

endif;

?>

• Thanks to both of you! Once I echoed the value the citation worked wonderfully. I now have it working as a choose from relationship field and as a selected category…now I have to figure out what’s better from a UX perspective.

Anyways, thanks. I’m very grateful of the support I receive on this forum.

• This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘From relationship items, pull meta values?’ is closed to new replies.