I created a clean test case for this:
1. I add a Field Group for my custom post type “Movies”
2. I add one custom field, text
Field Label: Year of releaše
Field Name: year_of_releaše
(note the use of a foreign letter)
3. The field works OK, but I realize I used a UTF-8 in a field name, so I go to rename it
4. I rename the Field Name to year_of_release
5. Now I cannot save the field anymore under “edit post” – whatever I put in there gets deleted when I press “Update” button
6. Even if I delete this field from my Field Group and add it again, it’s not saving (it’s caching in some way)
I tried this on a fresh WP 3.8.1, ACF 4.3.4 and CPT UI 0.8.2
I deleted the four rows in yellow in the attached pic DB1.
The situation now:
– ACF field name is “year_of_release”
– when I edit an existing post, the field shows up as empty (doesn’t pick up string “Again” from the database)
– when I type a new value in the existing post, the field saves OK – the database now looks like DB2 image (yellow fields are new)
– when I add a new post, the field saves OK, the database now looks like DB3 image (yellow fields are new)
I’m guessing the double fields are working and the single one (after rename) isn’t. After renaming my UTF8 character, it only saves a single field, so it isn’t working.
Btw – why do the fields save twice in the DB? Post locking / versioning?
ACF saves a reference value for each value. You can read more about this on the
I think we can agree that the issue was due to a database character encoding issue.
I’ll add this to the to-do and look into it in the future.
For now, can you please make sure all field names use english characters?
yes, I’m ok, this was more of a bug-report. I think the best solution would be to filter out these characters on the automatic js filling of the field (where you lowercase, replace spaces etc.). I would never intentionally use foreign characters in a field name, but when I’m filling the fields quickly I don’t always remember to check the generated field name.
I have a script for my cms that does it while preserving the most common european characters – I’m attaching it.
Thanks for your help!
The topic ‘Field not saving when renamed’ is closed to new replies.
Welcome to the Advanced Custom Fields community forum.
Browse through ideas, snippets of code, questions and answers between fellow ACF users
Helping others is a great way to earn karma, gain badges and help ACF development!
© 2022 Advanced Custom Fields.