Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Field names appear in English for both WPML languages

Solving

Field names appear in English for both WPML languages

• Hello,

I am running a multilanguage (German as main language, English as second language) website using WPML. As I did not work on the website for a long time now I cannot tell when this issue first happened. But it was not there two years ago when I last worked on the website. Now I want to finish work and put the website online and it appeared.

What happens:

I set up custom fields in the main German language and I also translated those fields into English. When I created a new page two years ago I was able to fill the fields for the main German language and then in English for the translated English version of the page. I also see the field names in German and English in the backend for both language correctly.

Now I edited some of the pages. I first edit the main German version, than the translated English version. Now in the frontend (on the website itself) and in the backend I see the English field names for the German version. Not the German field names.

If I go back into the backend and re-save the German version everything is German again.

I’m stuck – looks like a bug to me. I hope I can find some help here. With this effect I cannot edit pages anymore at the moment as I have to re-save all these pages again. Now or when this issue is gone.

Thanks, cheers and regards,
    Martin

• Can anybody help with this issue? Thanks a lot!

• Hi @roi

I’m not sure what happened, but a lot of things can happen in two years of time span. It’s possible the issue came from ACF, but it’s also possible that the issue came from WPML itself.

If the issue can be solved by re-saving the post, then I suggest you do that instead. Re-saving the post mostly will save the required data that is not generated back then.

Also, could you please make sure that you have followed the guide here: https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/multilingual-custom-fields/.

Please make sure to backup your site before doing that.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

• Hi James,

thank you for your answer. I checked the guide and everything looks as it should. I used it when I set up the page.

I can resave the post/page and it works. I better not forget to check the box “minor translation” or the translation wants to be updated, too. If I do it that way, it works. I see the German field names on the German page and the English field names on the English page. Also the content of the fields is in the right language.

But this really is a workaround. I first save the German page because I changed something. I go the the English translation, change the same stuff and save. Then I head back to the German page again, resave it without changing anything and check “minor translation”.

Oh PS: I have a date field. This is cleaned in the German version after saving the English version. Maybe because I have DD.MM.YYYY as German format and MM/DD/YYYY as English format, but the English date should be a copy of the German one. This also worked two years ago without any problems.

So now when resaving the German version I have to reenter the date again.

Cheers,
    Martin

• Hi Martin,

If you are using the free version, I suggest you use the same Save Format for both languages to maintain compatibility in the future. This will also make sure that you don’t need to re-enter the date when you are re-saving the post.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Field names appear in English for both WPML languages’ is closed to new replies.