Support

Account

Home Forums ACF PRO Field multiplication on upgrade to Pro

Solving

Field multiplication on upgrade to Pro

• I am in the process of converting projects to ACF Pro after years of using ACF Repeater, Flexible Content, Options individually. The current conversion is multisite (WP 4.2.2). ACF is originally 4.4.3, ACF Repeater 1.1.1. Also Repeater Collapser 1.4.1 (from mrweb).

Installed ACF Pro, ran the database update as prompted, which seem to go ok. Then went to look at field groups and they all had fields that had multiplied. So like:

Name

became:

Name
    Name
    Name
    Name
    Name

All field groups I checked looked that way.

Tried a second time, after reverting the database and upgrading the ACF plugins with the same exact result.

How to solve this?

• Hi @dbswebsite

This issue occurs mostly because you have a field group registered via PHP code. Could you please try to do the upgrade on one of the WordPress’ stock themes (like Twenty Fifteen) with only ACF activated?

Thanks πŸ™‚

• Thanks. But I am back. Same issue.

Here is what I did. Switched to 2014 theme (though 99% sure there are no fields or field groups defined as php). Disabled all plugins except acf and acf-repeater.

Now I did this as network admin, and network activated acf pro. I got the prompt for the db upgrade. There are 2 sites on the network, I selected each, and the “upgrade” seemed to go fine for each. But I still have the field multiplication issue. ???

Thanks.

• Still stuck here … anything else I can try? I have client pressuring me on this. Thanks.

• Hi @dbswebsite

That’s weird. Could you please try it in a single site installation? You can export the fields (XML), import it back in the single site and then upgrade ACF there. If the upgrade is successful, then you can export the custom field from there (JSON) and the import it to your live site.

It’s a lot of work, but I guess it’s OK for an emergency situation like this. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

I’ll investigate this issue again later and hope I can give you a good news πŸ™‚

• More wierdness. I tried this on a fully updated standalone WP system 3 times.

Exported from one of the sites on the multisite to xml.
    Made sure ACF (not pro) and Repeater field were enabled on the standalone temp site, using twentyfourteen theme.
    Imported XML to standalone site.
    All field groups looking good at this point after import.
    Activated ACF Pro.
    Never got a database update notice of any kind.
    De-activated ACF and Repeater.
    All field groups are completely gone. Nada.

So still hoping this can be done, but seems this just isn’t going to work. Thanks.

• Hi @dbswebsite

That’s weird. You should see an upgrade database notice when you upgraded to PRO version. Could you please tell me the PRO version you used for the upgrade? Could you please try it with the latest version (5.3.8.1)?

The field groups are gone mostly because the database is not upgraded yet as ACF PRO uses different field group structure.

Could you please check this thread about the upgrade notice is not showing up: https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/a-lot-of-weird-things-happening/?

Here’s the solution that works for the thread starter:

I basically activated the new version. Deleted everything that had appeared in the new version field groups. Run

UPDATE wp_options SET option_value = β€˜4.4.5’ WHERE option_name = β€˜acf_version’

on the database.
    Replace β€˜4.4.5’ with whatever previous version you were running.

If you want to try it, please backup your site and database first.

Please let me know how it goes πŸ™‚

• I answered via email a while ago, but don’t see it …

Basically, I gotta move on. So we are going with individual components and skipping the upgrade to pro.

One note after reading those links, I do manage plugins with wp cli. I think its just a wrapper around WP internals, but maybe there is something there.

• Hi @dbswebsite

It seems that you answered to the other thread πŸ™‚

It’s possible that wp cli is the culprit of this issue. If you have the time, could you please try it on a normal installation instead?

I’m sorry I couldn’t help you much, but please let me know how it goes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Field multiplication on upgrade to Pro’ is closed to new replies.