Support

Account

Home Forums General Issues Field group at taxonomy does not work

Solving

Field group at taxonomy does not work

• Hello,

I’ve been looking for the solution to this problem for hours … unfortunately I have not found.

After creating a “custom post type” (with taxonomy) – I created a group of fields to the taxonomy (for this taxonomy only). Unfortunately, I can not somehow recover the value of the custom field of taxonomy. Seriously, I’m in it for at least 5 hours :O

Someone could help me please?

Custom post type: audiobag
    Name of taxonomy: audiocategorias
    Custom field on taxonomy: ab_rolp

• Hi mdetoni. Not totally sure I understand – are the custom fields bound directly to the taxonomy itself?

• Im having the same issue I can not get the field value to display on Custom Taxonomy Term Page.

Custom post type: stations
    Name of taxonomy: radioroom
    Custom field on taxonomy: style_id

I even submitted a ticket about this and willing to pay to have it figured out.

• Hello guys,

emcniece – I’ll try to write a little better. My apologies for my english.

1 – I created a ‘custom post type’ called “audiobag”
    2 – I created a taxonomy called “audiocategorias”, which is attached to custom post, “audiobag”
    3 – Using the ACF plugin, I created a ‘custom form’, with some fields
    4 – In the custom form I created (in step 3) – I set a rule to display form: Taxonomy Term equals ‘audiocategorias’

My goal: When I show audiobag-single, also display the data defined in custom form for taxonomy.

After two days I could not make it work. I figured it might be some incompatibility with my theme, or am doing absolutely everything wrong. So I developed a plugin that creates a json for each taxonomy – but do not think an elegant solution, my intention would be to use the ACF to all.

Thanks for your answers and help.

• Just wanted to confirm that I’m having the same issue.

I was trying to add a field type taxonomy to a “show if field group” is taxonomy term, and the field shows up on the taxonomy page but couldn’t get it to show up in my theme. Hope that make sense.

• Ok, I’ve done a bit of testing and I agree that something is not working as expected… until I figured out how to get taxonomy fields. I’ll try and lay this out so that you guys can tell me if I’m doing the right thing!

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add a new Field Group: /wp-admin/post-new.php?post_type=acf
    2. Add a new field to this group
    3. Set the Location Rules: Show field group if Taxonomy Term is equal to [taxonomy], Save field group
    4. Add a new taxonomy term with the custom field: /wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=[taxonomy]
    5. Attempt to retrieve field in theme with get_field()

I was unable to get the field data properly until realizing that I wasn’t calling the taxonomy field properly.

http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/how-to/how-to-get-values-from-a-taxonomy-term/

So getting the field data looks like this (using @mdetoni’s taxonomy):

$terms = get_terms( 'audiocategorias', array( 'hide_empty'=>false ) );
    foreach($terms as $term){
    	$field = get_field('ab_rolp', $term->taxonomy.'_'.$term->term_id)
    	echo '<pre>field: '.print_r( $field, true).'</pre>';
    }

To get taxonomy fields, the post ID variable must start with taxonomyname_, so in this case audiocategorias, or in the example we pull it directly from the taxonomy term itself: $term->taxonomy.'_'.

Does this help anyone or am I heading in the wrong direction?

Edit: @drift2’s example

$terms = get_terms( 'radioroom', array( 'hide_empty'=>false ) );
    foreach($terms as $term){
    	$field = get_field('style_id', $term->taxonomy.'_'.$term->term_id)
    }

Note that in these examples we are using 'hide_empty'=>false in order to force the retrieval of terms. This is required for a term to show up in our list if there aren’t any posts with this term selected.

• Thanks for the reply.

I tried the docs (http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/how-to/how-to-get-values-from-a-taxonomy-term) examples but couldn’t get it to work. I’ll work through it again when I get a chance. I tried it on a client’s site and ended up scrapping it because it wouldn’t work.

• @madebytincans do you remember where you were making the get_field() calls? I’ve had a few issues recently with using ACF fields before the global query object was initialized.

• Hi emcniece thanks for the code however its still does not provide me with the results I am looking for. Im trying to get the field of the taxonomy term page. Like if I wanted to put an image on each category page. Here is the link to the existing site and as of right now its displaying the code you provided. http://gotradio.drift2.com/radioroom/alternative-attic/

To elaborate more on the over all goal I want to be able to have a custom slider, and custom css applied to on all pages, taxonomy term pages, and even post.

• @drift2 The code provided will loop through all available terms within that taxonomy, so we have to adjust it if we’re focusing on a single term.

$current_term = get_taxonomy( get_query_var( 'taxonomy' ) );
    $field = get_field('style_id', $current_term->taxonomy.'_'.$current_term->term_id);

Any luck?

Edit: sit tight, this code will fail
    UPDATE: Code for single term:

$term = get_term_by( 'slug', $wp_query->query_vars['term'], $wp_query->query_vars['taxonomy']);
    $field = get_field('style_id', $term->taxonomy.'_'.$term->term_id);
  • @emcniece Thanks for the help the code did not work for me however your direction and the info on http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/how-to/how-to-get-values-from-a-taxonomy-term/ lead me to the code that did work.

<?php 
    $queried_object = get_queried_object(); 
    $field = get_field('style_id', $queried_object);
    ?>
  • Hello again guys,

I tested the solution provided by @emcniece. And worked perfectly for me.

I pasted the code at my php file and everything works fine now.

Really really appreciate the help.

• Sorry, I don’t recall. I thought I could get something going quickly with ACF but had to scrap it all because I needed a solution that day.

I was trying to do exactly what the screenshots on this page (http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/field-types/taxonomy/) except on a taxonomy.

Perhaps I misunderstood or maybe the docs for taxonomy field can be updated.

Thanks guys

Unrelated: I just noticed that you can’t add a link through this editor. Weird.

• Nice work guys! Glad we got that sorted.

@mdetoni
    be sure to set this thread as solved if we’re good to go.

@drift2
    I’ll be watching that site with interest… shoot me a PM when that goes live 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Field group at taxonomy does not work’ is closed to new replies.