Support

Account

Home Forums Add-ons Flexible Content Field Echo nothing if value is X

Solving

Echo nothing if value is X

• Hi,

I currently have a Field Group comprising one Flexible Content unit, within which is a single Layout comprising multiple field types.

Specifically, one of those field types, Horizontal Alignment (jumbotron_horizontal_alignment), is a Radio Button. It should have two values for output…

• One is “text-center” (should be named “Center”)
    • The other is nothing (should be named “Left”)

In other words, Left is the default alignment option and should write out no value on the site. I want the function (the_sub_field?) to write out, in to my page.php, like this…

• If the chosen value is Left, write out nothing.
    • But, if the value is “Center”, then write out “text-center”.

How do I account for the conditionality in this? Is that just straight PHP or what?

• Pretty much yes, although I’d set the values of these fields to the actual class names if that I want to output so that I can simplify the code, you have not already

if (get_field('jumbotron_horizontal_alignment') != 'left') {
      the_field('jumbotron_horizontal_alignment');
    }

• I’m afraid I don’t quite understand the solution.

Use case (refined) is:

jumbotron_horizontal_alignment could be either “Left” or “Centre”.

• If “Centre”, write out “d-flex text-center justify-content-center” (which is three classes) in to my HTML
    • If “Left”, do nothing (there are no classes associated with left alignment, since it is the default.

I modified like this…

if (get_field('jumbotron_horizontal_alignment') = 'Centre') {
              echo 'd-flex text-center justify-content-center';
            }

… But WordPress threw this…

Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-content/themes/mytheme/page.php on line 32

• For the record, I am having a little success with the following…

<div class="col-md-12 cxt-title <?php
                                        // if "centre" radio selected, use relevant bootstrap 4 classes
                                        if( get_sub_field('jumbotron_horizontal_alignment') == 'Centre' ):
                                        elseif( get_sub_field('jumbotron_horizontal_alignment') == 'Left' ):
                                          echo '';
                                        endif;
                                        ?>"><!-- for left align, remove d-flex text-center justify-content-center  -->

That is – jumbotron_horizontal_alignment is a radio button with possible values “Centre” or “Left”. If “Centre”, echo out the three Bootstrap 4 classes that centre-align the text. If “Left”, echo nothing.

I am learning a bit more ACF today, winging it a bit.
    (Meanwhile, also learning Bootstrap 4! I’m not certain that left alignment shouldn’t also be controlled using text-left and justify-content-start, but left seems to be the default).

The above portion forms part of my overall Jumbotron layout…

<?php

// check if the flexible content field has rows of data
    if( have_rows('page_components') ):

// loop through the rows of data
        while ( have_rows('page_components') ) : the_row();

if( get_row_layout() == 'jumbotron' ): ?>

<!-- jumbotron -->
              <div class="jumbotron jumbotron-fluid mb-0 cxt-bgimg <?php the_sub_field('jumbotron_height');?> cxt-bgimg-tint-default <?php the_sub_field('background_image');?> text-white d-flex justify-content-center">
                <div class="container align-self-center">
                  <div class="row">
                                          echo '';
                                        endif;
                                        ?>"><!-- for left align, remove d-flex text-center justify-content-center  -->
                      <div class="align-self-center p-3">
                        <h1 class="display-4 pb-2"><?php the_sub_field('jumbotron_title');?></h1>
                        <p class="lead pb-4"><?php the_sub_field('jumbotron_subtitle');?></p>
                        <?php
                        // check if the flexible content field has rows of data
                        if( have_rows('button') ):
                             // loop through the rows of data
                            while ( have_rows('button') ) : the_row();
                                if( get_row_layout() == 'button' ):
                                  echo '<a class="btn btn-primary pmd-ripple-effect btn-lg" href="' . get_sub_field('button_url') .'" role="button">'. get_sub_field('button_title') .'</a>';
                                endif;
                            endwhile;
                        endif;
                        ?>

</div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>

<?php endif; ?>

<!-- Other layouts snipped from here -->

<?php endwhile;

else :

// no layouts found
        echo 'No ACF layouts';

endif;

?>

• You modification is causing the error, it should be (note the double ==)

if (get_field('jumbotron_horizontal_alignment') == 'Centre') {
            }

I’m not sure, did you get it working. In my original reply I was just saying that you need to use get_field() instead of the_field() and add conditional blocks of code. The exact way these are added will depend on what you want to achieve, but given what you supplied in the op the best I could do was a simple example.

Looking at this

echo '';
                                        endif;
                                        ?>">

it does appear the you have the basic idea. You can probably clean it up a bit and make it easier to read by getting the sub field just once and then using that value in your if statements

$halign = get_sub_field(jumbotron_horizontal_alignment);
    if ($halign == 'left') { .....

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Echo nothing if value is X’ is closed to new replies.