1) 5.7.11 gets recompiled for it’s fixes and added to the download file. Does 5.7.11’s new stuff get added to the 5.8 beta-3 automatically too?
2) If I start using 5.8 beta-3 and beta-4 comes out, does it prompt me in WordPress to update? Does it prompt me to update when the official stable 5.8 comes out?
3) I really need to start building custom blocks. I have my site on a staging server converting posts over to the block editor. Will I have any issues if I go ahead and build custom blocks now when the legit 5.8 is released or will there be migration problems?
Any insight into these questions is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
1. No, the 5.8.0-beat3 has remained untouched, and does not contain any of the new functionality. I plan to release a new 5.7.12 version tomorrow to address the bugs in 5.7.11, then begin work on 5.8.0-beta4 which will get all the new updates from 5.7.x
2. Yes, our update system will allow betas to appear in the wp-admin plugins page 🙂
3. Good question. In theory, there should be no issues. We are not planning to make any breaking changes from the current 5.8.0-beta version. We do plan to change the way values are stored within the block JSON, but we will be sure to do this in a “backwards compatible” manor 🙂