Support

Account

Home Forums ACF PRO Displaying relationship as a subfield on a CPT

Helping

Displaying relationship as a subfield on a CPT

• Hey All,

I’ve created two CPT, one for events and one for locations. Each CPT has its own loop and single page template. Essentially we have a basic event calendar and store locator.

I’d like to let users select a branch location when creating an event. In doing so the event will pull in the branch’s name and address and display it on the event page. (This I have working.)

I’d also like to have each branch location display a list of upcoming events, which will be at that branch. (This is where I’m stuck)

I’ve connected the two CPT using the relationship field in ACF. The relationship field is inside a group field which contains 3 options, one of which is selecting the location. You can see the setup here: https://screencast.com/t/0EKw0GFPE7g

Currently my loop looks like this:

<?php 
    								$bevents = get_posts(array(
    									'post_type' => 'event',
    									'numberposts'	=> 5,
    									'meta_query' => array(
    										array(
    											'key' => 'field_5c45422e00f3b', // name of custom field
    											'value' => '"' . get_the_ID() . '"', // matches exactly "123", not just 123. This prevents a match for "1234"
    											'compare' => 'LIKE'
    										)
    									)
    								));

?>
    								<?php if( $bevents ): ?>
    									<ul>
    									<?php foreach( $bevents as $bevent ): ?>
    								<li>
    									<a href="<?php echo get_permalink( $bevent->ID ); ?>">

<?php echo get_the_title( $bevent->ID ); ?>
    									</a>
    								</li>
    							<?php endforeach; ?>
    							</ul>
    						<?php endif; ?>
    						</div>

I think the problem is the location being a sub-field and I’m not selecting it correctly. However, I’m not sure. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi Byrd,

You’re right : Because of your ‘location’ data is in subfield you can’t query post by using it as meta_query (to be honest you can but by using an ugly solution).

I had the same issue with a repeater subfield and I got a very helpfull advice from John Huebner : See my post here.

To resume : Use the ‘save_post’ filter on your event CPT to save with add_post_meta the location as simple metadata (For example : ‘wp_location’). Then you’ll be able to easily query it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Displaying relationship as a subfield on a CPT’ is closed to new replies.