Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests devel for staging/development sites

Solving

devel for staging/development sites

• Per ACF Pro Support’s suggestion, I’m posting this request here (I know this is a long shot).

Currently, the ACF Pro License only recognizes the string “stage” or “dev” in the domain name to automatically deem a particular site to be considered staging or development, which would not count against the valid license meant for production sites.

In my situation, I have a production site that uses http://www.mysite.com and an established staging/development site (well before ACF Pro License started recognizing staging sites) that uses devel.mysite.com.

However, I’m still forced to use my devel site as my production site for my lifetime license due to the very specific and restrictive “dev” string they’re looking for.

Therefore, I’d like to see the requirement expanded to include the string “devel” in that automatic development/staging site detection (or at least “dev*” where * is a wildcard).

That way, there’s no need to maintain yet another development site or having to switch licenses between production and devel site just to satisfy this very specific and restrictive requirement.

• Did they mean to post here or to post this on the feedback page https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/feedback/

This is a user forum and the developers do not monitor them as a general rule, I don’t think anyone here will be about to help you with this.

• Thanks for the link. Support didn’t provide a link so it was not clear what they meant by posting to the forum.

To be honest, it felt like I was getting the runaround.

• Well, now that I’ve thought about it, there are some way to only have ACF active on the dev and update the staging and live site, but you did not really say how you were pushing code changes to from dev => staging => live. If you explain that I might be able to give you a solution to work around it.

• Yeah, I’ve been keeping the license active on the devel site (the production site doesn’t get the valid license). That allows me to do plugin updates and test it out before going live with any changes.

I git control both my devel and production sites so I basically push the changes once I see the update didn’t break anything, and then I pull on the production site.

This has been the battle rhythm that I’ve I’ve been doing for years.

It was only when I noticed on the manage licenses page that it supports development/staging and not counting against the license usage, that’s when I went down the rabbit hole and wondered why my staging/development site is not considered staging/development.

It’d be nice for the developers to expand the domain strings that they’re looking for. I’ve been using devel even before I noticed this staging function in the license management page so it would be a breaking change if I had to change the domain name to dev instead (which is what Support initially suggested that I do).

• In most cases that is how it works with dev => staging => production. You don’t actually make changes to the productions site, in some cases in some environments it is impossible to make changes directly to the code on the live site.

Quite frankly, I find it a PITA as well, but I do work on some sites that are on systems that require this.

1) You perform updates and coding changes on the dev site
    2) You pull code changes to the staging site from the dev site and db from the live to test
    3) Finally you pull code changes to the live site.

However, you could simply install a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/download-plugins-dashboard/ and just download them from ACF from the dev site and upload it to the other two sites. For several versions of WP it now detects that you are uploading a plugin that is already installed and prompts you replace it with the new upload.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.