Support

Account

Home Forums Feature Requests Default value for the taxonomy field type

Solving

Default value for the taxonomy field type

• It would be nice to be able to set a default value for the taxonomy field type

• Thread has been marked for the developer when he has time to look at feature requests here.

• Is the default value filterable?

I’ve seen this post on filtering default tax field for front end editor, but the filter’s not working for me in the basic back end admin.

• I just tried this and the example I gave still seems to be working.

This if for checkbox/multiselect field type

add_filter('acf/load_field/key=field_589c6d5477f05', 'set_tax_default');
    function set_tax_default($field) {
    	$field['default_value'] = array(3,4);
    	return $field;
    }

and this works for radio and single select

add_filter('acf/load_field/key=field_589c6d5477f05', 'set_tax_default');
    	$field['default_value'] = 3;
    	return $field;
    }

The value needs to match the term ID(s) of the default values you want to set.

• Hi John,

I’ve disabled all other plugins and switched to 2017 theme, but it’s still not working – odd!

Here is a screen grab of the web inspector, just to show that i have the relevant field key and default value.

web inspector for Post Edit admin

add_filter('acf/load_field/key=field_58086a9b13be5', 'kiteboat_set_tax_default');

function kiteboat_set_tax_default( $field ) {
      $field['default_value'] = 304; // that's "private"
      return $field;
    }

• Are you trying to add a default value to a field on a post that was previously save without a value?

If this is an exiting post, does it do the same thing when you add a new post?

What version of ACF are you using?

• Thanks John. Using ACF 5.5.7.

This is for adding a new post. I’m not too concerned about previously saved posts, just trying to get the default working for new posts.

screen: http://localhost:8888/projectkiteboat/wp-admin/post-new.php

• I think I recreated it. Do you have Load Terms set to yes?

• Just checked. Yes i do!

Should I not? and if not how will the postbox get the saved terms?

• I would say that you’ll need to go about setting the default value differently in this case. You’re using a custom taxonomy, so that should make things a bit less difficult since your not dealing with “Uncategorized”

Rather than using acf/load_field in this case you should use acf/load_value https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/acfload_value/ with a priority > 10

Going to be honest, I’m not exactly sure what needs to be done, this is a bit of a guess.

add_filter('acf/load_value/key=field_58086a9b13be5', 'kiteboat_set_tax_default', 20, 3);

function kiteboat_set_tax_default( $value, $post_id, $field ) {
    	if ($value === false && get_post_status($post_id) == 'auto-draft') {
    		$value = 304;
    	}
      return $value;
    }

• Thanks, I read through the docu on that filter.

I also tried using acf/prepare_field. I’m not sure any of these filters is getting fired, though. I have added error_log( print_r ( $field, true )); into the filter just to check that variable and nothing is appearing in the debug log.

With the acf/load_value filter I tried using various priorities, and also eliminated the post_status check ( so any false value would trigger the default ) but still nothing’s doing.

What’s the last parameter on the filter, ‘3’?

• The last parameter is the number of parameters that WP sends to your filter.

There are only a couple of reasons the filter wouldn’t be running. Either you have the wrong field key or the code is in the wrong place. What file did you put it in?

• Oh jeez! I had been modding the wrong functions.php, since i switched to the default theme. I can confirm the load_value filter fires and works as expected. Thanks for sticking with me.

• No problem, I managed to learn something as well, that a filter I thought should work will not when using load and set terms, which is something that I do quite often.

• @hube2 Your load_value version was spot on. Good work!

• Just adding this here in case someone else needs this. This piece of code will add the first taxonomy term as default for all taxonomy fields *on the frontend*. I needed this for frontend forms, but feel free to remove the “is_admin” check if that’s what you need.

Beware of potential overhead if you have many terms or fields that would be triggered by this.

if(!is_admin()){
    		$terms = get_terms($field['taxonomy'], ['number' => 1]);
    		if($terms) {
    			$single_term = reset($terms);
    			$field['default_value'] = $single_term->term_id;
    		}
    	}
    	return $field;
    }
    add_filter('acf/load_field/type=taxonomy', 'set_tax_default');
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Default value for the taxonomy field type’ is closed to new replies.